• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Loss of Pleasure Activity in the Brain During Depression

M

MattMVS7

This obsessive thought (question) has been bothering me. This question I have is in regards to what happens when a person experiences chronic major depression. Stress hormones (which are called glucocorticoids) rush to the brain and overwork the neurons and overwork the neurons responsible for pleasure to death, causing loss of pleasure activity in the brain.

Now just from using common sense, if someone has chronic major depression in which those glucocorticoids are uncontrolled (in other words, the hypothalamus--a brain region responsible for regulating those glucocorticoids, has failed in terms of regulating the glucocorticoids) and they are overworking and overworking a vast number of those pleasure neurons to death, wouldn't that mean that the rate of activity that the failing hypothalamus is using (gaining) in an attempt to regulate (stop) the glucocorticoids is less than the rate of loss of pleasure activity due to the glucocorticoids overworking and overworking a vast number of those pleasure neurons to death during chronic major depression (since the failing hypothalamus is using less activity in trying to stop the glucocorticoids)? Again, just from using common sense, wouldn't the loss of pleasure activity be greater?

So which answer would you choose: “yes, it does,” or “no, it does not work that way and we don't even know if there are moments (brief, a second or less or more or even for longer periods) during chronic major depression where the rate of loss of pleasure activity just due to the glucocorticoids overworking and overworking those pleasure neurons to death is greater than the rate of activity that the failing hypothalamus gains in an attempt to stop the glucocorticoids.”

Again, do we even know if there are moments (brief, a second or less or more or even for longer periods) during chronic major depression where the rate of loss of pleasure activity just due to the glucocorticoids overworking and overworking those pleasure neurons to death is greater than the rate of activity that the failing hypothalamus gains in an attempt to stop the glucocorticoids?

ally41

ally41

Stress hormones don't control MY brain. When I'm depressed it's because I'm knackered from the constant intrapsychic wrangling that goes on between the parts of myself. I get depressed to give myself a break, because it's better than the agitation of running around in circles with myself. And when I don't see pleasure in something, it's because it's either not all the parts of myself WOULD enjoy whatever it is - hence the prospect of more internal arguments or because parts of myself can't imagine there's any pleasure to be had. You kick a dog for long enough and eventually it'll just crouch in the corner....