Losing weight with an ed

L

Luna94

Hi, I'm new here this is my first post. I really need some advice on how to deal with my current situation.

I'm overweight, it's a medical fact. I want to be at a healthy weight, and I love working out so in theory it shouldn't be hard to achieve but it is.

As soon as I make a conscious decision to eat healthy and lose weight, it's like it flips a switch in my brain. I suddenly need to count every calorie, I become anxious if I don't and I become obsessed with eating 100% clean. Obviously it isn't sustainable and after a while I give up and enter a phase of constant binging. After the binging comes the guilt, which triggers a new phase of restriction. This pattern can go on for months on end.

The weird thing is, I have a perfectly normal relationship with food when I'm not trying to lose weight. For the past 4 months I've been busy with university and didn't have the time to think about my weight. It stayed the same and I ate completely normally. I wasn't in denial about it, just busy and happy.
Soon finals are over and I will have more time to take care of myself. I really want to improve my lifestyle, and part of it is being healthier and losing my excess fat, but I'm afraid it will trigger another restrict/binge pattern.

I just want to be healthy, but it's like I'm afraid that I won't lose the weight if I don't count. But I know counting isn't healthy because in my case it triggers restricting.

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you!

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

hello Luna the thing with food in this case if we think about it then it starts to grow into a monster.
best not buying the food that is not helpful keep it out of the house.

drinking water will help as that will reduce the hunger pangs and you may even be a little dehydrated and water will help two fold in that case

L

Luna94

Thank you for the advice about water!

Well the thing is I binge on whatever I have, on "normal foods" (pasta, rice, cheese, bread, fruits...). If I needed to stop buying the foods I binge on I would need to stop buying food altogether. Plus, I live with a roommate so we always have these foods in the house...

It definitely turns into a monster, so what I'm trying to figure out is how can I be careful of what I eat in order to lose weight without "thinking about it"?

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

ah now for me it was more recently smoking not a huge habit but one nevertheless. and my approach to it was to say to myself and other people who asked me regarding the smoking. and i would say i have stopped smoking but i havent given up!

a little mind game to placate the lock down of focusing on giving up. and other than the other day where i just had one after months of not smoking i have still stopped lol but not given up. that way i have no rigid thinking about it