• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Losing Friends due to being mentally unstable

Teakita

Teakita

Has anyone else experienced such a thing of losing friends due to your psychosis? I don't have any friends anywhere, my own family don't have anything to do with me anymore. I feel totally isolated and lonely. I have a good support network through mental health... But other than that I have no friends. Losing friends through out the years have been a downfall but I just think that's life. There's a saying that goes. "God Removes people from your life for a reason, Don't chase after them." This means a lot.

A bit of a back story. I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder way back in 2005 at the age of 20. I am now 34 years old going on 35 next month. I've been on two diff medications, Olanzapine and now present day on Abyraz (same as Abilify) In a way I think I just don't have the mental stability to hold on to friendships because well my moods...
I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions as to why you've lost friends due to psychosis or other reasons...

H

Headingtothelight

I don’t have any friends atall coz feel like i can’t be myself fully around anyone anymore but i am sick of feeling like this i really am i can’t even talk to my family and always dodge them

A

AppletreeConfusion

I only habe depression and mild high functioning autism and its already too much to accept. People jsut meed normality above all else, you didn't cause the illness, seems wrong to cut off all support. :(

Noone seems abke to accept mental health its so selfish. Im so depressed about how horrible people are to people with mental health. Just need to focus on myself now - I'm alone also.

Zero One

Zero One

I actually forgot that it could hurt to lose friends until I had what I call a delusion reminding me that you could be really hurt from losing friends. I feel more angry that they abandoned you and defensive that you don't need them. I lost a lot of friends because of betrayal. My disorder is bad tonight. I will take my meds and see if I can answer you later. Had some strong hallucinations and disconnects from reality.

Zero One

Zero One

I don’t have any friends atall coz feel like i can’t be myself fully around anyone anymore but i am sick of feeling like this i really am i can’t even talk to my family and always dodge them
Omg I have to start by saying I'm not well tonight but when I read that you dodge them I had to laugh, I used to say the same but make a joke about it. I was probably psychotic then and didn't know it though.

K

KitKat90

I lost a few good friends over the years. I’m not in a good place at the moment. I suffered dissociation and depression. I stopped talking to friends while I was in distress. It’s lonely, I don’t want to bring others down or they can’t understand what your going through. I’m doing phone therapy but it’s not really helping. Sorry to go on and on. If you need someone to talk to you can DM me.

Teakita

Teakita

Hi peeps, Thank you for your feedback yes it can be hard to maintain friends in general. I think it's a bit annoying how these professionals recommend how good it is to have friends when really everyone is going through their own battles. As we grow older the more our friendships become less and less. But when we're young our friends is what makes us have hope in an everlasting you know Best friends forever it sounds so cliche but there is no such thing as a bff well for a majority of people it isn't always the case... I wish I could have just 1 friend just one friend who I can call up and say hey look I'm not feeling my best version of myself and my well being isn't that great today. I need help can you come over. I think to myself wouldn't it be lovely to have that kind of friendship because it's ok to not be ok...

Teakita

Teakita

I only habe depression and mild high functioning autism and its already too much to accept. People jsut meed normality above all else, you didn't cause the illness, seems wrong to cut off all support. :(

Noone seems abke to accept mental health its so selfish. Im so depressed about how horrible people are to people with mental health. Just need to focus on myself now - I'm alone also.
Hang in there, Yes it can be difficult sometimes to accept the fact that people aren't very accepting to mental health. Not everyone has a mental illness unlike us. I hope you'll be ok.

Teakita

Teakita

I lost a few good friends over the years. I’m not in a good place at the moment. I suffered dissociation and depression. I stopped talking to friends while I was in distress. It’s lonely, I don’t want to bring others down or they can’t understand what your going through. I’m doing phone therapy but it’s not really helping. Sorry to go on and on. If you need someone to talk to you can DM me.
That's understandable, a lot of people don't really understand what it's like to suffer from a mental illness, some people just don't want to associate themselves with people that are different. I hope you will be ok in the long run. It's good to vent.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
"God Removes people from your life for a reason, Don't chase after them."
I really like that saying. I suppose you are wondering though if you should chase them because you chased them away with your psychosis. I think even without psychosis, we can chase people away though. They weren't meant to be in our lives perhaps.

There are so many people out in the world who need a friend. There is also a saying:

You need to be a friend, to make a friend.

I'm trying now in my life to think how i can be a friend, and trying not to need anything or anyone. I know we all need someone though. One person minmum.

Teakita

Teakita

I really like that saying. I suppose you are wondering though if you should chase them because you chased them away with your psychosis. I think even without psychosis, we can chase people away though. They weren't meant to be in our lives perhaps.

There are so many people out in the world who need a friend. There is also a saying:

You need to be a friend, to make a friend.

I'm trying now in my life to think how i can be a friend, and trying not to need anything or anyone. I know we all need someone though. One person minmum.
Yes I love everything about what you posted, because it is so very true. :)

K

karl7

Has anyone else experienced such a thing of losing friends due to your psychosis? I don't have any friends anywhere, my own family don't have anything to do with me anymore. I feel totally isolated and lonely. I have a good support network through mental health... But other than that I have no friends. Losing friends through out the years have been a downfall but I just think that's life. There's a saying that goes. "God Removes people from your life for a reason, Don't chase after them." This means a lot.

A bit of a back story. I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder way back in 2005 at the age of 20. I am now 34 years old going on 35 next month. I've been on two diff medications, Olanzapine and now present day on Abyraz (same as Abilify) In a way I think I just don't have the mental stability to hold on to friendships because well my moods...
I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions as to why you've lost friends due to psychosis or other reasons...
i lost all my friends....they just stopped calling me when i went in to isolation due to depression.....then i got sz at 26 back in 2002.....that totally ruled people out of my life......im currently friendless.....but i might have advice for you.....im a member of a mental health club, these are places where you can go to partciipate in activities such as creative writing art drama yoga or group therpay to name but a few or else just drop in for a coffe and a chat.....as i say its possible to make ferinds there, or at least meet people you relate to

P

Purpleplum

No matter what type of MH problem you have this happens sadly. If you don't fit in with others or have problems with emotions, it is bound to happen.

K

KitKat90

Hi peeps, Thank you for your feedback yes it can be hard to maintain friends in general. I think it's a bit annoying how these professionals recommend how good it is to have friends when really everyone is going through their own battles. As we grow older the more our friendships become less and less. But when we're young our friends is what makes us have hope in an everlasting you know Best friends forever it sounds so cliche but there is no such thing as a bff well for a majority of people it isn't always the case... I wish I could have just 1 friend just one friend who I can call up and say hey look I'm not feeling my best version of myself and my well being isn't that great today. I need help can you come over. I think to myself wouldn't it be lovely to have that kind of friendship because it's ok to not be ok...
I feel like that too. One close friend is all I would need to feel whole. To be there for one another in good and bad times. Having a mental illness some people can’t relate and it just seems to complicate having a close friendship.

PerpetuallyStuck

PerpetuallyStuck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I feel like that too. One close friend is all I would need to feel whole. To be there for one another in good and bad times. Having a mental illness some people can’t relate and it just seems to complicate having a close friendship.
Hmmm...I have a long term friend who I've known for around 15 years. On average I'd see the person between once a week and once a fortnight. I think due to their social commitments, and my anxiety, they don't want to go out in public with me. I have briefly in the past. We get on well enough. It's not the sort of friendship where we do everything together, but there is loyalty.

It doesn't make me feel less worried about life. It's nice that I have a friend, but I feel isolated and worthless regardless. I don't know if I'd still feel like that if I manage to make new friends and gain a partner, but one friend isn't enough for me. I don't want to dismiss the importance of you and others on the forum who need friends. It is good to have people that keep in contact, but it doesn't cure any mental health issues, unfortunately.