• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Lorazepam? Please Help

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I just took 1 mg of lorazepam for anxiety, and I'm wondering how long it takes to start to take effect.

I went to the hospital this afternoon with really bad anxiety and the psychiatrist on duty gave me two 1 mg tablets of lorazepam. He also got a form for me to sign so that I don't have to pay anything for psychiatric meds, along with a prescription for lorazepam. I'm back at home now, trying to calm down. I'm exhausted, but still have pretty high anxiety, and I really hope the lorazepam will kick in soon.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'd imagine its working by now :) x

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I've calmed down a little bit, but still feel pretty tense in my body. Still feel emotional. I just sat there in the ER waiting room with tears pouring down my face. The psychiatrist was really nice, but he asked me a ton of questions about my childhood and of course I had to tell him about the memories of abuse by the babysitter, and that had me literally shaking in my chair. I'm just glad they didn't admit me into the psych ward.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think by opening up you will naturally feel a bit raw :hug1: I think I read you do church? not sure what time it is there but could you maybe go there soon? x

V

VintageRabbit

I take lorazepam and it does help.
Might take a few minutes though
To kick in. :grouphug:

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah, I'll go on Sunday morning. The pastor has offered to talk with me, but I'm not sure about doing that yet. I know I need other supports in my life besides my therapist, psychiatrist (who I couldn't get in to see in an emergency) and the Mood Disorders Association support group. Also, having a meeting with just the pastor makes me nervous about being alone with a man I really don't know. I've only been to that church 4 times, so it's not like I really know anyone there very well.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I still feel my heart racing a bit. Just took my night time meds, including quetiapine. I had the dose upped from 250 mg to 300 mg, and 100 mg of that dose is the fast acting 25 mg tablets, so I'm hoping that will kick in soon.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
im not familiar with quetiapine sorry.
I would like to think you could trust a pastor but I'm an idiot that gives everyone the benefit of the doubt at least once but only twice before they're dead to me.

Last edited:
prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The brand name for quetiapine is seroquel. It's an antipsychotic that is used as a mood stabilizer, and it also seems to help my anxiety.

I am very wary of trusting religious professionals because I experienced a very deep betrayal by a priest at a church I used to go to, as well as another pastoral staff person who really messed with my head. I find that most religious professionals really don't get mental health stuff. Some of them think they do, and then they can be really harsh when your mental health problems exceed the limits of what they can handle.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think the lorazepam is giving me insomnia. I increased my quetiapine and took all my other meds so I should be getting sleepy, but I'm not. I read some info about lorazepam on the internet and sure enough, one of the possible side effects is insomnia. I cannot deal with more insomnia right now. I swear if I don't get relief from this I am going to end up attempting suicide because I SERIOUSLY want all the shit to STOP. Now I am having anxiety about insomnia.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I found it very helpful I'm sorry its not helped you :(
I'm sorry for your bad experience of people you put your trust in, religion is irrelevant I think, people in general had a bad understand of mental health issues :hug1: yes you be careful xx

V

VintageRabbit

Sometimes a new drug has to
Get in your system before it can
Get into your blood stream. It can
Take time, especially your first time
Taking it. I take both Meds and they
Help me emensly. I take 300mg of
Seroquel a night. Lorazepam as
Needed or daily. I can also take
1/2 of a seroquel if my anxiety is high
During the day. Which I hardly do bc
It knocks me out. But hey it does help.
Meds don't cure everything but, it
Can make it so you can use your skills
To live and enjoy life.
You had a stressful night, so maybe
Put a fav movie in...or do something
You enjoy. What is something that
Could take your mind off things?

F

Fantail

Do you have coping skills that will relax you?

I find reaching out for help actually made me worse. I manage myself now. I quit counselling as found dwelling on the past kept me ill and preveted me looking forward. Relying on others made me helpless. Think about that. I know things are complex for you right now but at some point we need to stop looking back and start looking forwards. High anxiety will come when we focus on the past and our problems and reach out to anyone else rather than reaching out to ourselves.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Anxiety Forum 14
D Anxiety Forum 10
Carol1952 Anxiety Forum 2
O Anxiety Forum 2
TulipIceCream Anxiety Forum 6