• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Looks like I'm going to lose my job

S

Suziblue

Just back from a meeting with my boss' boss and personnel ad I've been told that since they don't believe I could cope with the duties of a staff nurse in the near future I have to go to a hearing which will decide if I should be deployed to an admin post 3 pay scales below my current one or have my contract terminated. I can't help but feel devastated, I'm a nurse and I worked hard to be one! They were very nice about it saying maybe a year or so down the line I could apply. For an mother nursing post. But really who's going to employ a nurse with bipolar and a history of total melt downs? Is it time for something different?

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Suziblue, that is very tough. Is there any chance that a change in treatment may make you more stable? It seems so unfair.

What would you do, take the admin post while you think about what would be best for the future? Is there a union to give you any advice? Are they allowed,to just terminate your contract?

Hope whatever happens things work out better in the long run. X

E

Elle-X

Hey Suziblue, what a shame that you have worked so hard to get to where you are and it may all be taken away from you. As far as I'm aware, they would have to have a very good reason to terminate your contract altogether so it's likely that the admin post will be the next step.

S

Suziblue

It is likely but if they can prove I'm too damaged they won't offer it "for my sake". Given the state I've got myself in today maybe it is time to start exploring other options, seeing psych on Monday maybe they can tweak my meds a bit to cut down the anxiety. One of my problems is that an episode was triggered by a particularly stressful incident at work and now just going into the building freaks me out a bit!

E

Elle-X

Do you think once you got your meds sorted out, you would be able to go and nurse elsewhere? If your anxiety is trigged by your workplace now, perhaps finding somewhere else to work would help you anyway.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Hi suziblue,
Have you seen occupational health regarding this? As I'm sure your aware, your treated as having a disability and therefore have rights - reasonable adjustments need to be made to your role to allow you to work as well as the next person.
I was in the same position as you 4 years ago - I wasn't a nurse but a lecturer and was deemed 'not fit for work' that is that I was unable to fulfill my role and they tried to put me in an admin post. I went to a solicitor and fought them and managed to stay in my role with adjustments for another two years. I decided enough was enough and left.
Make what you will of my story - I suposse you have to follow your head and make your own decision, but make sure it is that - your own decision!
Best of luck, let us know how you get on - feel free to pm me if you would like x sparkly x

S

Suziblue

Thank you all for your support, my sister works in personnel( not NHS) and she's coming round tomorrow to check out my contract and the trust policies to see what she can do. With a bit of luck we'll find something to hit back with and if I can get myself a bit more under control I can present a better picture of myself, I'm already so much more together after 8 weeks on lamotrigine appart from the odd hallucination which will hopefully get sorted out soon I'm pretty good. My employer does not know about the hallucinations!! However I see it as a big plus that 6 months ago I was suicidal and a few weeks after that was driving country roads at ninety for a buzz and now am quietly painting my kitchen, looking after my family and hoping just to be allowed to work again!

M

magicman2002

I had the same kind of problem when I went back to work recently they told me one more time off with bipolar and they will have to look if I am able to do my job. Im scared of loosing my job as im the only one that brings in the money. They do have to show they have tried to make reasonable ajustments before they look at moving you to another role. Otherwise they have not tried to support you and are so opening themselves up to having claims brought against them. I know its not the same thing but this makes an interesting read Disabled teacher forced to quit job wins pay-out | Leicester Mercury

megirl

megirl

I can totally empathise. Yes in similiar situation i was a staff nurse and despite meetings extended leave i sadly had to resign.
My support worker said that if i were to do a return to nursing course thing (which I would have to do through the hospital where i worked) he said you should be fine they arent allowed to hold that against you. Well I worked there boss was supportive then he got unsupportive to being almost nasty (fuck-wit) but anyway there would be know way in hell they would offer me to do this return to nursing program. They wouldnt I know that. But thats here and not the uk.
Hey good luck xx

S

Suziblue

Have been thinking about this a lot and went out with work colleagues last night and had a good chat with them, I think I will let my current employers let me go as they've been as supportive as no bra in a hundred yard dash! I'll try to keep my registration though and see if I can get a part time job in a nursing home or a surgery so that I can keep doing what I love but on my terms. Will be a bit different as I'm a surgical nurse in a high pressure setting used to dealing with scary crises going to handing out pills and washing old folks but it's still nursing and maybe I can make someone's day better sometimes which has always been my reason for doing this job! Failing that I'll do something completely different and learn to love that! Feeling positive about it all!! Xx

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Bipolar Forum 2
H Bipolar Forum 23
frisas45 Bipolar Forum 1
B Bipolar Forum 1
Zardos Bipolar Forum 18