• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Looking to chat with some folks from York?

coldwater00

coldwater00

Hi guys,

I live just outside York, and I'm with York & Selby Early Intervention Team.

Been in Bootham (Ward 1), and spent 3 months with Bootham's home treatment team.

Anyone else similar?

R

rebex

Hey,
I'm from York and was also in Bootham and then was under the home treatment team. How was your experience of Bootham?

coldwater00

coldwater00

Hey :)

Um, well I was there for a LONG time. I liked it at first but then I got sent to a secure unit - bastards. Thought the staff were ok ish though? And the ward is ok. How long were you there for? What do you think of Dr ***?

Last edited by a moderator:
catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hey :)

Um, well I was there for a LONG time. I liked it at first but then I got sent to a secure unit - bastards. Thought the staff were ok ish though? And the ward is ok. How long were you there for? What do you think of Dr ***?
hi, know this wasn't a question for me, but that name brought back memories. I was assessed by Dr *** at Bootham a few years ago. I had gone out of my area as worked in mh at the time, was an emergency and couldn't face people I knew here. I found Dr *** cold and a bit distant when I met her, but her letter back to my GP was great and really helped to get me some help and advise on where I could be seen due to local difficulties. Sorry to butt in x

coldwater00

coldwater00

hi, know this wasn't a question for me, but that name brought back memories. I was assessed by Dr *** at Bootham a few years ago. I had gone out of my area as worked in mh at the time, was an emergency and couldn't face people I knew here. I found Dr *** cold and a bit distant when I met her, but her letter back to my GP was great and really helped to get me some help and advise on where I could be seen due to local difficulties. Sorry to butt in x
Hey, no worries. She is cold. She removes herself emotionally from every situation. That's why I can't help but think she see's people more like objects to be scanned for symptoms rather than humans. She did a few terrible things to me that I will never forgive her for. But I'm glad you found her helpful, nonetheless.

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Am sorry she did dreadful things to you, really sorry, that is unforgivable. I can understand the scanning for symptoms thing you describe, I felt like an object being assessed. Her feedback did help though and got me help that I had until then been denied up here since working in mh made that very hard. x

coldwater00

coldwater00

Am sorry she did dreadful things to you, really sorry, that is unforgivable. I can understand the scanning for symptoms thing you describe, I felt like an object being assessed. Her feedback did help though and got me help that I had until then been denied up here since working in mh made that very hard. x
That's good she was of help. I take it you never met Dr ****?

R

rebex

To reiterate everyone else's thoughts: I found her extremely cold and distant. The whole process felt rushed and impersonal, which - to an extent, and in a professional sense - I understand but when you are so vulnerable and fragile rationality is insignificant. For me it really wasn't a very positive experience. Initially there wasn't room in York so I got send to Cygnet in Harrogate for 'holding' before being transferred to Bootham. In Cygnet they altered my medications and tried to help in the minimal time they had. Then as soon as I was transferred back to York they took me off all medication and tried to release me asap as (I assume) they were struggling for bed space. Within a few days of being released I relapsed and I found the home treatment team very unhelpful and was then admitted to critical care again. Awful experience.

coldwater00

coldwater00

no.... better or worse? x

I thought Dr **** was a good Dr - she was always kind to me but she had a reputation for being like Ursula from the little mermaid (evil octopus matriarch)

coldwater00

coldwater00

To reiterate everyone else's thoughts: I found her extremely cold and distant. The whole process felt rushed and impersonal, which - to an extent, and in a professional sense - I understand but when you are so vulnerable and fragile rationality is insignificant. For me it really wasn't a very positive experience. Initially there wasn't room in York so I got send to Cygnet in Harrogate for 'holding' before being transferred to Bootham. In Cygnet they altered my medications and tried to help in the minimal time they had. Then as soon as I was transferred back to York they took me off all medication and tried to release me asap as (I assume) they were struggling for bed space. Within a few days of being released I relapsed and I found the home treatment team very unhelpful and was then admitted to critical care again. Awful experience.
I'm sorry about that. I was in Harrogate too. I also found home treatment dreadful.
Can I ask what your diagnosis is? And how old you are? Sorry if that's nosey. I do believe that certain old school psychiatrists like *** and **** favour or "prefer" to treat people with schizophrenia or severe psychosis. Dr **** told me she didn't like helping people with PD's or alcohol problems - she thought they were obstreperous. Dr *** was obsessed with medicating me - at one point she tried to get me to take 8mg of risperidone a day. how did you find the staff on ward 1?

formerlymadjon

formerlymadjon

hi i was born in york, i lived most of my life in stamford bridge and moved to market weighton 2 yrs ago, hows things?

R

rebex

Coldwater: My diagnoses are C-PTSD, BPD, MDD and EDNOS and I'm 22. I don't have a history of co-morbid drug/alcohol abuse though (thankfully). I was initially hospitalised for a psychotic break though which I am obviously now 'recovered' from (i.e. medicated). What are yours, if you don't mind me asking? Your impressions of Dr *** seem very accurate.. you're very perceptive! The rest of the staff were helpful and genuinely caring but seemed pressured by the system and higher authorities. How long were you in Bootham/Harrogate for? And was it one admission or multiple? Obviously feel free to not answer if you find it too intrusive.

coldwater00

coldwater00

Coldwater: My diagnoses are C-PTSD, BPD, MDD and EDNOS and I'm 22. I don't have a history of co-morbid drug/alcohol abuse though (thankfully). I was initially hospitalised for a psychotic break though which I am obviously now 'recovered' from (i.e. medicated). What are yours, if you don't mind me asking? Your impressions of Dr *** seem very accurate.. you're very perceptive! The rest of the staff were helpful and genuinely caring but seemed pressured by the system and higher authorities. How long were you in Bootham/Harrogate for? And was it one admission or multiple? Obviously feel free to not answer if you find it too intrusive.
Hey, no worries I'm happy to answer :)

Diagnosis is paranoid schizophrenia, unfortunately. I'm also diagnosed as having mood disorders (listed as depression and hypomania). Glad to hear you feel you are recovered. I initially went into Harrogate for 3 weeks then Bootham for 3 weeks afterwards then discharged. 4 months later was readmitted to Bootham and spent 8 months there then 4 and a half months in secure units and a secure rehab in Bradford.

coldwater00

coldwater00

hi i was born in york, i lived most of my life in stamford bridge and moved to market weighton 2 yrs ago, hows things?
Hey :) market weighton is pretty near to me! Have you ever been in Bootham, can i ask, or with HTT? Glad to meet some fellow Yorkies :)