• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Looking to be supportive

• Thread starter Showing_support
  • Start date
S

Showing_support

Hi everyone never done this before, have been trying to support my husband.

Yesterday we to his gp and he got given fluoxetine 20mg once per day he started this today. The gp recons he has depression and possibly anxiety.

He's been getting erections at least four times today without sexual activity and is worried about this I have given him reassurance re: this as I read all side effects etc and it does mention prolonged erections etc, he is reluctant to take painkillers when he's in pain and is finding it a bit of a struggle to take these fluoxetine pill but he has.

HIs mood swings in the past have been fluoating with shortness towards ours kids etc, any slight thing is triggering him to shout at kids for little or no reason I have been offering support and advised him to get the help he finally got it. I know it's going to be a long road to go on but was wondering if there was anything else I could do to help.

Thanks in advance looking forward to your response. X

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya and welcome to the forum. I have never heard of multiple erections caused by these meds. Its an odd one that. His shortness with the kids might be the anxiety as it can lead to irritibility in some people. I am sorry you are going through this. How long has he been on the meds? If its a short amount of time then maybe wait until the drugs do their work. Has he been offered any counselling? Perhaps that is an avenue to look into.

S

Showing_support

Thanks so much he only started them this morning I know it's not going to work in short space of time he's just worried as like I said he's very reluctant to take painkillers and he's panicking as he's been on this for a day. This mood swings shortness with the kids has been on and of for a year. Thanks for your last response just trying to support him the best way I can x