• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Looking for things that help when voices are at their worst

J

jseguin60

Hello, i am new to this forum (which is sad really, as i should have searched for help way before now :)

I consider myself as a person in recovery. Never been diagnosed, never spent time in a mental health institution for treatment. I have however worked in the mental health system for many years. Right now I am working with a gentleman who has been experiencing what he describes as "voices coming from boxes located in various areas areas in the neighborhood where he lives." He is able to hear these voices where ever he is-in his apartment, at AA meetings, on the street, at our program. These are very mean and threatening voices, telling him his family is dead, he is going to be evicted and out on the street, etc. Very frightening voices. He believes people he knows have been recorded and are connected to the other voices coming from these boxes. He says he's cant find the boxes, but knows there there. Ive asked him if others hear these, he says no because they are specifically for him to hear. He spent time in a forensic mental health "jail" and believes that while there things were sprayed on him and this is where this started.
Ok, this is why i am posting...I have worked with this man for many years and believe he feels safe talking to me about this. We are most worried about his physical and emotional wellbeing as these voices interfer with his self care (showering-and he has always been a sharp looking guy who cares about personal hygiene) as well as his eating nutritionally and his sleeping. We can help with nutrition, see he eats as so forth, but really needs suggestions and ideas from others who may have little tips/tricks to help him sleep, have time to shower, and maybe get some quiet time for himself. He will not take meds, as he believes the ones forced on him in "jail" may be some of the problem (and he may be right on that).

So, what has worked for anyone?

Thanks for anything you can suggest

Jo

U

urbangibbon

Hello, i am new to this forum (which is sad really, as i should have searched for help way before now :)

I consider myself as a person in recovery. Never been diagnosed, never spent time in a mental health institution for treatment. I have however worked in the mental health system for many years. Right now I am working with a gentleman who has been experiencing what he describes as "voices coming from boxes located in various areas areas in the neighborhood where he lives." He is able to hear these voices where ever he is-in his apartment, at AA meetings, on the street, at our program. These are very mean and threatening voices, telling him his family is dead, he is going to be evicted and out on the street, etc. Very frightening voices. He believes people he knows have been recorded and are connected to the other voices coming from these boxes. He says he's cant find the boxes, but knows there there. Ive asked him if others hear these, he says no because they are specifically for him to hear. He spent time in a forensic mental health "jail" and believes that while there things were sprayed on him and this is where this started.
Ok, this is why i am posting...I have worked with this man for many years and believe he feels safe talking to me about this. We are most worried about his physical and emotional wellbeing as these voices interfer with his self care (showering-and he has always been a sharp looking guy who cares about personal hygiene) as well as his eating nutritionally and his sleeping. We can help with nutrition, see he eats as so forth, but really needs suggestions and ideas from others who may have little tips/tricks to help him sleep, have time to shower, and maybe get some quiet time for himself. He will not take meds, as he believes the ones forced on him in "jail" may be some of the problem (and he may be right on that).

So, what has worked for anyone?

Thanks for anything you can suggest

Jo
Hi there, sorry but there seems to be a strange disjunction in your post. On the one hand you introduce yourself as a person in recovery and say you have never been in a psychiatric unit as a patient and then you forward yourself as an advocate for this guy who is hearing voices and say you have worked in a MH unit. Sorry but I find your post rather odd. I am a bit puzzled. Perhaps it is just me. :scratcheshead:

Are you posting as a person with your own MH issues or for another person or for both?

J

jseguin60

i certainly understand your reply. i identify as a person that has experienced mental health problems, have found my own way to deal with these and they may have interfered with employment, raising a family, but i have found ways of coping without needing the traditional mental health treatment. I have participated in treatment with a psyhologist so have been diagnosed im sure but never inquired about that diagnosis. I do not experience the things which this fellow has experienced so am an advocate for him. I am posting as an advocate. not having personal experience with these particular things I am requesting ideas so I can be a better advocate

J

jseguin60

urbbangibbon- to add, i believe we are all in recovery. whether we are "treated" in the mental health system, or persons not "treated" in the mental health system. those not "treated" just tend to call recovery, life. plainly put, we all got our own stuff. :) Either way, what im looking for are ideas which work for people to give this man alittle peace, if not for just a few precious moments.

Kerome

Kerome

Have you read the sticky posts at the top of this forum? They contain a wealth of information on coping techniques.

Things that seem to work particularly well from what I've read recently are conversations and singing. Perhaps get him to join a choir? Or just spend time with him talking about his troubles.

You are a good friend, I hope you succeed in helping him :)

J

jseguin60

i dont think he sings, but that is certainly an option as our program does have a few of its member in a choir. thanks so much!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Hearing Voices Forum 5
C Hearing Voices Forum 2