Looking for help and support.

M

mlaite13

Hi forum friends,
I hope I am in the right place. I have struggled with depression for 4-5 years. I am currently taking medication. I have a psychiatrist who prescribes my meds, and I have seen different behavioural counsellors over the past 4 years. This may sound silly, but until recently I did not know that there was so much help available for people who struggle with mental illness. Being ignorant of the many services available, I have basically been getting by on my own. There are times when I am doing okay, living day by day, hour by hour and minute by minute. But, there are also times when I cannot leave my bed for weeks at a time. It is not a matter of wanting to get better, I just can't do it on my own anymore. This time I am opening my eyes and reaching out for help. I can't go on pretending that going through the motions is the same as living my life. But, no matter how many people tell me to decide to live, I can't. I tell myself, today will be the day. Then, I find myself falling asleep and waking when the day is all but done.
This week, while lying in bed and missing my school classes and work, I have phoned the local mental health crisis line three times. I have never done that before. Today, the gentlemen who answered suggested that I look online for a helpful forums. He said that forums can provide tools from likeminded people who have been where I am. Most of the time I feel so alone. I feel worthless, hopeless and empty. For me, the future feels so far away that it does not exist. I want to know if any of you have ever felt like that? How did you learn to live with depression? Please help!

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:hi: Welcome to the forum mlaite13!

It's lovely to have you here and i hope that posting here helps to ease the feelings you wrote about.
It is a great supportive forum.
:)

R

Rose19602

Hey mlaite,
Good to meet you and :welcome: to the forum.
It is very helpful here because people who've "been there" tend to have the most insight, compassion and empathy when you are depressed.
As Volnash says, the depression forum would be a good place to start, for people in a similar position.
I hope that you enjoy posting here.
x

Agatha

Agatha

Hi forum friends,
I hope I am in the right place. I have struggled with depression for 4-5 years. I am currently taking medication. I have a psychiatrist who prescribes my meds, and I have seen different behavioural counsellors over the past 4 years. This may sound silly, but until recently I did not know that there was so much help available for people who struggle with mental illness. Being ignorant of the many services available, I have basically been getting by on my own. There are times when I am doing okay, living day by day, hour by hour and minute by minute. But, there are also times when I cannot leave my bed for weeks at a time. It is not a matter of wanting to get better, I just can't do it on my own anymore. This time I am opening my eyes and reaching out for help. I can't go on pretending that going through the motions is the same as living my life. But, no matter how many people tell me to decide to live, I can't. I tell myself, today will be the day. Then, I find myself falling asleep and waking when the day is all but done.
This week, while lying in bed and missing my school classes and work, I have phoned the local mental health crisis line three times. I have never done that before. Today, the gentlemen who answered suggested that I look online for a helpful forums. He said that forums can provide tools from likeminded people who have been where I am. Most of the time I feel so alone. I feel worthless, hopeless and empty. For me, the future feels so far away that it does not exist. I want to know if any of you have ever felt like that? How did you learn to live with depression? Please help!
I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. I have been there, too, many times. I am still depressed but not suicidal. I have tried many meds and counselors and it hasn't cured me or even come close. I am trying to be hopeful that this time things are going to get better and there is hope and a light at the end of the tunnel. I am arranging to see a new psychiatrist and social worker asap. The last ones did me no good and even seemed to make matters worse. It's a good idea to ask for support here and on other forums, too, good ones that is. I truly hope you will start to feel better soon and I care. I sure know what it's like to be in the pits of despair. I fight this depression every day and hopefully I'll win and you can, too.

M

mlaite13

Hi,
thank you all for your responses. It feels good to know that you are out there. Are there any specific tips or lessons you have learned to help you live and function with depression?

Agatha

Agatha

I try to tell myself to just take One Day at a Time and get through that and not worry so much about the future. However, it is easier said than done. I try to be kind to myself and forgive myself often if I feel I've made mistakes. Trying to just remember I am human and not perfect and not to expect myself to be more than I am right now. I hope I've said something that helps and if not I'm sorry. All the best to you my new friend.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I function cause I have to to pay my bills :( i am lucky as I have a son who I want to be able to provide for and couldn't imagine him living in a world without his mum.