• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Looking for film stars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

morelikewater

I work for Mind, www.mind.org.uk ,and am producing a film for 'time to change' - www.time-to-change.org.uk . The film is focusing on the workplace. We need real people with real stories to talk about their positive stories in the workplace. The film is supposed to inspire those that are in work and those that are looking for work. There are currently 5 million people that are in work and have a mental health issue, we need to inspire those people. The film will be targeted at reaching 50,000 employee's and 5,000 employers. If you are interested in being on camera, telling your story, and being part of a revolution let me know.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I returned to work in 2002 under New Deal for the disabled under my own steam. My last job, which I eventually walked out of a month ago, while good for me in many ways (routine) was soul destroying. I ended up as a general dogsbody, firmly in a box doing anything anyone else had an aversion to. This was despite me gaining qualifications (BSc, MSc) specifically to do with the output (research), and contrary to promises made during my interview which I subsequently followed up on (and was ignored). Rorschach basically became the person who did the things that everyone else felt averse to. Did this have anything to do with my condition?? Well it's not completely out of the question...

I have a job interview next week with a research institute, so I do still want to work.

If you ever make a realistic film, let me know. To be honest I'm not sure my experiences would make anyone want to return to work, and I'm not sure I'd appreciate you editing out anything negative, which would be a considerable component of anything you filmed.

M

morelikewater

realistic?

I have suffered from depression most of my life and have a great working life and career. I know many others like me, so i don't think that portraying positive stories is unrealistic. I'm really sorry that your job didn't work out for you, good luck with the interview. some employers are just bad employers mental health or not.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I have suffered from depression most of my life and have a great working life and career. I know many others like me, so i don't think that portraying positive stories is unrealistic. I'm really sorry that your job didn't work out for you, good luck with the interview. some employers are just bad employers mental health or not.

Don't patronise me. Enjoy your propaganda drive....

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I know many others like me, so i don't think that portraying positive stories is unrealistic.

Hmm, somewhat counterintuitive statement contextually. If it were true surely it would be easy to find a cast for your film, n'est pas? You can save me the line about a random sample...

M

morelikewater

why do -ve and defensive?

how wise, how arch, how useless. I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve or say here. i wasn't patronising you, merely pointing out that mental health problems don't have to cause the person to live in socially excluded misery and cynicism. You can call it propaganda if you like, would you have said the same about stonewall, or the civil rights movement. This is a campaign to change perceptions and empower people. as it stands you are part of the problem not the solution. I've seen quite allot of positivity on this forum and i find it sad that a super moderator is so -ve.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I speak, and will speak, as I find. We're all quite capable of discussing things and finding our way through the complex, and you're right lots of positivity here. When I became a moderator, I was actually quite often guilty of spinning the line you're now trying to, to the annoyance of many of the members. I'm back here after about a year off, having continued to work and doing a fulltime MSc; hence I've not been around for a while. I'd been in my last job about 3 years last time I was about, but I could see that work had some positive outcomes. The truth is that it's tough coming back from long periods of mental illness, involving various degrees of patient status; forensic, formal, informal, outpatient. You should go back and read your original post, 'Want to be filmstars?' get a grip. Reports of going back to work...positive reports??? How long were you off work? What status were you within the system? Tell us some of that, and if you have been through the mill like most of the members here, and want to tell us some of your positive experiences, crack on. If however you want glove puppets, use your 'many' friends. Otherwise your posts are just spam, spam to do with your film about mental health, true, but spam nevertheless.

Last edited:
M

morelikewater

ok ok you're right

ok, ok, i admit you are right. i have succumbed to your intellect and influence. Living with a mental health problem is terrible. life with depression is pointless. People with mental health issues cant work, and why should they bother. Thanks , thanks so much for pointing out how things really should be. long shall we remain socially excluded on the edges of society. long live melancholic isolation as we all huddle together like miserable penguins in the artic. glove puppets? i'm afraid you sound rather like a troll. I do genuinely wish you good luck in your interview. There are over 5million people with MH problems in work. 2.5million are struggling, i'm actually trying to do something about it. but you're right, whats the point?

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
There's plenty of point to making a film, but by your own admittance in your first post, and further demonstrated by your subsequent posts 'The film is focusing on the workplace. We need real people with real stories to talk about their positive stories in the workplace.' That's stating a bias to begin with; try allowing people to retain their agency rather than telling them what data you want. I think you'll find most people will have very mixed experiences of work, positive and negative. Make a film that deals with both sides of the arguments and people will listen more attentively. Mind you if your film is aimed more at those who stigmatise, more than the stigmatised, I can go someway in seeing the point of your film.

As this section is an introduction section, perhaps you'd like to do that? The best way to get people to open up to you, is to be open. Pitching your film doesn't equate to that in my mind. Perhaps you'd like to outline the difficulties you have overcome, more than a mere diagnostic label, that have lead you to your position in making this film? What I am suggesting is that you join a community rather than merely pitching at it?

With such a long history of illness you must have many tales to tell, many insights into overcoming obstacles, n'est pas? You want people to put themselves forward, I suggest you give a little more of yourself before you ask of others.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I see from your other post (yes you know which one..lol) that you are an advocate of CBT and Lord Layard...oh don't get me started on brainwashing and reprogramming. I had you down straight away, I scare myself sometimes.

M

morelikewater

let me introduce myself

hello,

Rorschach, maybe at some point i will share some of my experiences but not right now. as a general rule, when one is faced with hostility it doesn't make you feel very much like sharing. you have provided me with a very cold introducion to this forum, but luckily i'll get over it.

CBT has helped many,many people. it is no more brainwashing than any of the myriad of beliefs and habitual thought patterns and behaviours you have yourself. If by thinking differently, you can feel worse it is only a simple logical step to assume that you can think yourself better. It is a myth and a phallacy to assume that analysis is correct for everyone just as it is to assume that its all down to synapses and chemical imbalances. mental health is what makes us human and unique, therefore different solutions work with different people. CBT is just one of them. To be dismissive about it, is being dismissive about the power a person has to exert positive change in their.

In truth you sound like you are in a negative place at the moment, and i've been there. My film is about challenging stigma, that's why it has that bent. i would have thought that that was obvious seeing as its for time to change and Mind.

I'm going to check out some other threads in the hope i dont get trolled out by you.

cheers,

MLW

A

Ainsworth

:welcome:

CBT is just one of them. To be dismissive about it, is being dismissive about the power a person has to exert positive change in their.
ooh is that me then? as dismissed it for me but not for others :unsure:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I'm actually very aware of the Time to Change initiative, I had a job lined up to carry out research with one of the academic institutions aligned with the charities specifically to do with the initiative.

I actually like the stigma, it affirms me. It lets me look out at the 'norms' and agree with them. All my life I've been told there was something wrong with me, and do you know by their measure they're right; I however like to think it's a preadaptive trait.

As to negative greeting. I was actually thinking that I'd be happy to help you, but only if you were actually going to present what people think, not what you want them to say. After your second post, I'd changed my mind and decided you wanted to push an agenda inhabited by Bambi, flowers and humming birds; I wanted nowt to do with it. You obviously have an agenda (not an apparently negative one, but...) and want to create a film that helps. I wish you luck, but you know to be honest and without being facetious, I'd go with all those people you know who are in work. You might find people here who will help, but you may well find out in regard to the specific we're a cynical bunch (admitted I've not been regular here for around 12 months, so can't say for certain you'll not find what you're looking for.)

As to other threads and following you. I've not referred to you in any thread that you haven't specifically referred to me, perhaps bear that in mind. Not action, reaction.

(edited to add I'm cynical pretty much 24/7, if you think I'm in a bad mood today, you REALLY don't know me...which is of course obvious....as you really don't)

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

I work for Mind, www.mind.org.uk ,and am producing a film for 'time to change' - www.time-to-change.org.uk . The film is focusing on the workplace. We need real people with real stories to talk about their positive stories in the workplace.
I have a real story, I have been genuinely too ill to work for over 10 years. I tried to work as best I could in the past, & each job landed me, & contributed to serious sections & breakdowns. I try to live as productive a life as possible, & to live as best I can. I am confronted with many challenges & difficulties, but I am a genuine success from where I have come from & with what I have dealt with; & have had to deal with. Am I a failure as I am too ill to work? & a failure because I am not positive every day? That is Disabilityism.

I do not equate social acceptability & work with recovery. Far from it.

I see the main cause of stigma & discrimination in people being blamed for their illness; & being blamed in not doing more to help themselves or pick themselves up. The stigma is in judging those not able to work through illness, assuming that it is their fault, & that they aren't trying hard enough, or that they brought it on themselves; that they are responsible for their conditions.

I have observed all this 'time to change campaign' appears mainly to be addressing is much milder forms of MH problem - usually anxiety, & depression. & it would appear that contrary to changing attitudes; this campaign is sadly reinforcing some.

What are you doing morelikewater to challenge the stigma towards all mental illness - not just those with mild enough MH experiences; or those lucky enough to get enough support to return to work, & who remain half positive. Hard as some of us try - we have conditions that do not allow us to feel like we are skipping through fields of flowers with the fluffy bunny wabbits; all the time.

I vainly hoped that the 'Time for Change' Campaign might stand up for the rights of those less capable of standing up for their rights; & for people needing genuine & comprehensive healing, help, support & assistance; that don't get it. I vainly hoped that this Campaign might address the culture that writes people off - stigmatises, blames, demoralises, socially excludes, isolates, demonises, throws on the rubbish heap, & leaves to rot whole sections of society; (& then blames them for it); those afflicted with severe mental illness; & a culture that accepts such attitudes as normal. I vainly hoped that maybe a voice could be given to those that have no voice; & whom are the most unlistened to & downtrodden section of our World & society. I vainly hoped that the system, & widespread practise of throwing people meds & telling them to 'fuck off' would be challenged.

How naive I was to think that anything would be done to genuinely address the core issues of the ingrained & endemic stigma & discrimination in this society. As far as I am concerned 'Time to Change' is largely a fucking waste of time, & has the potential to be counter productive to those in most need of a change in attitudes; & total paradigm shift. Shame we won't get it; despite wasting millions on it; that would have been infinitely better spent on actually helping those people that need help.

Excuse my French.

Last edited:
J

jamesdean

how wise, how arch, how useless. I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve or say here. i wasn't patronising you, merely pointing out that mental health problems don't have to cause the person to live in socially excluded misery and cynicism. You can call it propaganda if you like, would you have said the same about stonewall, or the civil rights movement. This is a campaign to change perceptions and empower people. as it stands you are part of the problem not the solution. I've seen quite allot of positivity on this forum and i find it sad that a super moderator is so -ve.
I personally have a mental illness I've never had a mental health problem with it,is that something I dont know anything about a mental health problem, could you en lighten me please can you work with one of them things then depression is a serious condition it certainly isnt a problem,you know I've wasted a year of my life because I thought that the mh trust in my city had something to offer me within voluntary an d then perhaps employment they like all these do good charities are nothing but a load of crap. Is is true that mind have loads of mioney in the bank that they have pinced of this loosesr goverment

Status
Not open for further replies.