• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Looking for ANY kind of advice, I think my husband has some type of schizophrenic episodes.. and idk what im doing here PLEASE HELP US.!!

D

DLswifey3825

Idk what I'm doing really .. my husband and I are high school sweethearts, we have two beautiful children ages 12 and 14 and he just recently came home from a very long stay in prison, 10 years and 2 months, having spent 18 months straight in the hole right after going down; he came home finally at the end of Nov 2019 and by Dec 26, 2019 he was acting EXTREMELY weird. Talking to and seeing people. He asks me if he's going to die because he feels like someones going to kill him. There's just....ALOT of stuff that goes with it. Idk what to do short of having him committed to the hospital for a 72 hr observation, which..is NOT a good idea.. our marriage, at the moment, is in a very rocky place and he doesnt trust me enough to let me have him admitted to the hospital to figure this out. Side note - my husband's biological father was diagnosed years ago with schizophrenia, genius level IQ, but CRAZYYY .. my husband did not grow up around his dad, and ik that THAT doesn't say that he ISNT going to experience the same symptoms or be plagued with this mental illness; I, too, suffer from a lengthy-ish diagnosis. I just need help. Idk what to do.

L

Lab rat

I know from personal experience of several short (compared to your husband) stays in prison, what a number it does on your mind. It’s good that you’re standing by him, but ultimately a mental health team can guide him, but he himself needs to challenge his symptoms. Medication helps. My hallucinations seem so real, I rely on others to tell me sometimes that things are not real. I might argue and protest, but ultimately I fight the symptoms and my wife has been beside me every step of the way.

L

Lab rat

Two options present themselves,

1 distraction. My personal favourite. Takes practice, but when you’re fully concentrated on something, the voices lessen.

2 talk about what’s going on with him, then if he can see that nobody else hears them, he can challenge them head on.

ht46

ht46

It could be schizophrenia or another diagnosis, some people have temporary psychosis. I don't really know how to advise you on your situation. Talking to him (not assuming you haven't), going to a GP together and discussing it could be a good start. In my experience the delusions have been so severe that psychiatric help is the only option so if he's managing life day to day you might have a bit of time to discuss it with him, things like recreational drugs and alcohol will make it worse.

M

Mariyani

You should tell him if he thinks he's seeing something he should pinch himself or rub his eyes a Lil.. feeling can snap you out of it a lil or water.. also only having good company in your presence can make a big big difference..

K

karl7

you really need to get him to see a pdoc or else his GP......psychosis can be recovered from with the right meds

D

DLswifey3825

How do I convince him that what he's experiencing ISNT real tho.. because its a big argument for us.., he believes all of it is REALLY happening.. he believes that govt men are dressing up in invisibility suits from the army and coming into our bdrm while I sleep (and he doesn't, because he hardly EVER does) and they touch me and do things to me sexually while he lays right there .. and I don't do anything about it because I can't; out of fear or because I don't want them to hurt him or WHATEVER... I don't know. I finally had to tell him last night that he was going to see a doctor or we were going to separate because its been going on 2 years now that he's been experiencing these things and even tho they've become a bit more manageable, they're still HARD for me ..

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
I think he'll take it more seriously if he gets diagnosis and the Dr explains the diagnosis and symptoms.

I didn't listen to my Mum when I was ill. I was like your husband thinking nothing is wrong with me and that everything that I'm experiencing is real.

However, when my psychiatrist told me I had psychosis/schizophrenia, I listened and finally gained awareness of my illness.

W

WH433

You cannot convince him and any arguing over it will just be destructive to your relationship. He needs medication and education for a chance at slowly gaining insight. 2 years at least untreated is very bad, please get him help and good luck.