• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Looking for answers on confusion/delirium

D

Darwin75

Hello all, first time poster! Apologies in advance for the long post.

Ok, I am currently worried sick about my Dad and am looking for any possible advice, as the doctors currently have no answers.

My Dad is in his mid 70’s and has had terminal lung cancer for about a year and a half. He has been on Afatinib since then, and this has been a huge success, as the cancer has not grown and the side effects have been essentially minor.

About 5 weeks ago, he received the Astra Zenica Covid vaccine, and whether coincidentally or not, his health has worsened since around that time.

He was fitted with a catheter a few days later as he was struggling to pass urine. This was supposed to be removed after a couple of weeks, but was put back an extra week to last Thursday.

Probably for the last two weeks, he has become a little “zoned out”, including forgetting some conversations. He has also not been eating or drinking properly for a while now. Unfortunately, on the day the catheter was due to be removed, my Mum found him in a confused state and he had to be taken to hospital. He had appeared fine just a half hour or so before that.

Since then, the confusion has not abated. He has had numerous tests (MRI, ECG, lumbar puncture) and all have come back essentially clear other than an infection which is being treated with antibiotics. He is receiving fluids but still (other than some food yesterday) not eating. He also pulled out his feeding tube a couple of days ago.

The doctors seem to have no ideas for what has caused this, and I just wanted to know if any of you have experienced something similar and/or have any suggestions, as we are all extremely worried right now?

Bluejay7500

Bluejay7500

I have experienced a lot of confusion since first getting my initial diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. I think just the diagnosis in general caused me a bit of anxiety that created some memory lapse. I hope you can find your answers. It takes hard work but with a little bit of help you can understand this better. Try searching the web for articles about Alzheimer’s and hospital stays and see if there is a correlation. I’m sry I couldn’t be more help but just know you have a place to share welcome to the forum

🔹

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Looking for answers Mental Health Experiences 10
C Looking for answers Mental Health Experiences 1
T Now Looking Back Mental Health Experiences 1
T Looking back on life Mental Health Experiences 8
C Looking for any help Mental Health Experiences 2
T Looking back Mental Health Experiences 13
Wheelie Bin Barry Well, im normal again, things are looking up. Mental Health Experiences 1
C Looking for advice on what I'm going through please Mental Health Experiences 20
MrBond007 Looking for a way to calm down since I am always so angry and I don't know how to stop. Mental Health Experiences 3
SomeSwedishGirl Looking in the mirror. Mental Health Experiences 1
THE MANDALORIAN This is for outsiders looking in Mental Health Experiences 1
L Looking For Further Advice Please Mental Health Experiences 17
R Looking for advice on communication Mental Health Experiences 2
S Looking to be supportive Mental Health Experiences 2
R Looking into someones windows Mental Health Experiences 3
T Looking for some advice about an awful psychiatrist. Mental Health Experiences 9
C Paranoid thoughts looking for advice Mental Health Experiences 3
Not_Crazy_Yet When did you first realize you really were thru the looking Glass? Mental Health Experiences 14
M Hallucinations, loss of joy.. Looking for advice.. Mental Health Experiences 3
A Looking for a answer. Mental Health Experiences 3
A New here, looking for some advice ! Mental Health Experiences 3
J Looking for some help a guidance while my girlfriend battles through depression Mental Health Experiences 3
S Looking for people who get this too: Horrible feelings that cannot be described with words. Mental Health Experiences 6
K Hi, Looking for some guidance. Mental Health Experiences 4
N Some of the women at my new workplace keep looking at me?! Mental Health Experiences 3
NicoretteGummed New Good Looking Female Patient Lowers The Depression Of Existing Male Patients In My Supported Lodgings!!! Mental Health Experiences 52
W Just looking for an opinion Mental Health Experiences 3
W not looking after pseudo therapists posing as peer support Mental Health Experiences 1
W Looking on the bright side of being mentally ill Mental Health Experiences 2
H looking for help Mental Health Experiences 2
D Not sure what to do, looking for advice Mental Health Experiences 2
J looking for some insight Mental Health Experiences 4
A Concerned about my girlfriend, looking for help/advice Mental Health Experiences 2
A looking for some information Mental Health Experiences 2
T Looking after YOU Mental Health Experiences 4
M Looking for similar situations Mental Health Experiences 12
Mister.B Looking into a furnace Mental Health Experiences 1
L looking for some help Mental Health Experiences 1
C really looking to go outside to meet new people. Mental Health Experiences 3
T Need Help & Answers Mental Health Experiences 3
M Paralysing fatigue but no answers Mental Health Experiences 1
A Impulsive internal voice answers with constant, methodical negativity Mental Health Experiences 1
M A bit lost and really need answers Mental Health Experiences 4
C Questions from answers, problems from solutions Mental Health Experiences 5
B Took ecstacy and then had a psyhchotic episode 1 year ago, would like opinions/answers Mental Health Experiences 4
S Depression and Anxiety...what about confusion? Mental Health Experiences 5
I What is this? Confusion if I am suicidal?!?! Please read. Mental Health Experiences 2
T confusion Mental Health Experiences 3
U Confusion about Time... What on earth is this? Mental Health Experiences 3
E A cloudy feeling of confusion is following me all the time Mental Health Experiences 9