• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Looking for advice???

G

garth

Founding Member
Hi
Hopefully there is somebody out there that understands and can help to retore my life to normality.
I have suffered for 2 years with severe anxiety, having lost two x jobs and nearly my home and family.
I have had numerous ecg blood and holter tests, but cannot seem to escape from frequent extra heartbeats. They are very disturbing. They seem to occur more in the evening and seem at there worst when wake up in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning. I am sure that i am going to have a heart attack. I have tried hypnosis with no success and various medication, betablockers etc.
I dont drink alcohol or caffine.

What does anybody recommend????:(

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I don't really know much about anxiety Garth, hopefully one of the other members could offer some advice.

:welcome:

D

Dollit

I know when I get anxious I find that I have to concentrate on something else otherwise it can overwhelm me. It's not something that happens everyday or even regularly but it always happens when I get ill. I immediately begin to talk to people that I trust and if I can't talk to them for some reason or another I email them and get it all out of my system. I've been to my GPs more than once convinced I was suffering from a heart attack. I do some occasional work for a GP as a researcher and one of the things we tackled was the stress response. It seems it doesn't matter how much you understand a subject you don't become immune from it or its effects. How much use this is to you I don't know but we can talk about it as much as you want. :hug:

A

Apotheosis

Hello Garth, Sorry you have been experiencing this. I have suffered extreme anxiety as well, but it has been in combination with psychosis & other ailments. I have experienced the extra beats thing - thankfully most of the time now I feel reasonably relaxed.

Things which I have found which help is; Actively avoiding things which cause me too much stress. This is a difficult one as normal life contains stress, but I try to find relaxing & enjoyable things to do. Some people say to me I need to push my comfort zones more & face fears, but having tried allot of things I find leading a quiet a life as possible the best thing.

Have you tried meditation Garth?, just simple stuff - slow relaxed breathing, also breathing out more than you breath in & practising deep (diaphragmatic) breathing: (breath in slow to the count of four to the stomach (stomach moves in & out but try to keep the chest still, it takes practise), breath out slow to the count of four - repeat). Also simply concentrating/focusing on breath. I do find that worry or distressing myself with problems seems to cause the most anxiety. I find focusing simply on what I'm doing & the day & excluding too much thought of yesterday or tomorrow does help.

I drink loads of coffee & chain smoke, however I don't drink or take any other drugs. Alcohol can cause anxiety, I also found cannabis terrible for anxiety. If the problem is not being caused by stimulants/drugs, as you have said - then I would look at ways of becoming more psychologically relaxed. Alternative therapies can be highly affective, especially when done regularly; hopi ear candles, Indian Head massage & Reflexology would be good for you, as well as others: Bowen, Acupuncture etc. Worth a try. I hope that helps.:)

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
hello garth :welcome:

i suffer from similar symptoms quite alot . .. i'm not sure how to stop it but i do know that worrying about it makes it worse and i end up in that contuous cycle of anxiety... its like chicken and egg ... did the pains / palpitations cause the anxiety or did the anxiety cause the pains / palpitations?:scared::scared:

breathing is good (as someone said) ... not only physically supplying oxygen , but also gives you something else to focus on ... (im not great at focussing, but i try ) ..
i often find myself , when my heart is fluttering and jumping, repeating a mantra , "my heart is beating cos im alive, my heart is beating cos im alive..." and so on .....

but im often amazed when i wake up in the morning still alive ..

:)

J

justlikeawoman

i need advice

Hi
Hopefully there is somebody out there that understands and can help to retore my life to normality.
I have suffered for 2 years with severe anxiety, having lost two x jobs and nearly my home and family.
I have had numerous ecg blood and holter tests, but cannot seem to escape from frequent extra heartbeats. They are very disturbing. They seem to occur more in the evening and seem at there worst when wake up in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning. I am sure that i am going to have a heart attack. I have tried hypnosis with no success and various medication, betablockers etc.
I dont drink alcohol or caffine.

you sound like you are in an anxiety state. however, betablockers i think should have helped that a bit.
maybe the extra heart beat is part of who you are. some people are born wih extra fingers and toes and maybe you are born with an extra heart beat
have you always been like this or are you just experiencing this lately?
do you suffer with stress that could be causing this?
so are you seeing your doctor on a regular basis or do you see a consultant psychiatrist? have you told him these things are happening to you and if so what does the doctor say it is?
i suffered with anxiety for years but it was only by learning some of what was happening to my body and understand myself that these have eased somewhat
i do still get anxious but i dont seem to have that 24/7 anxiety that i use to have. and it was dreadful. so i know what you are experiencing.
can i ask you, dont know if you will reply, but what you are scared of and do you feel secure about your life? i mean this and i am not trying to scare you, but if you where to die right now what is your anxiety about it? i mean we all have to die sometime. i think that is where your problem lies.
ok - hope to hear from you soon.
best wishes
:grouphug:

J

justlikeawoman

hello garth :welcome:

i suffer from similar symptoms quite alot . .. i'm not sure how to stop it but i do know that worrying about it makes it worse and i end up in that contuous cycle of anxiety... its like chicken and egg ... did the pains / palpitations cause the anxiety or did the anxiety cause the pains / palpitations?:scared::scared:

breathing is good (as someone said) ... not only physically supplying oxygen , but also gives you something else to focus on ... (im not great at focussing, but i try ) ..
i often find myself , when my heart is fluttering and jumping, repeating a mantra , "my heart is beating cos im alive, my heart is beating cos im alive..." and so on .....

but im often amazed when i wake up in the morning still alive ..

:)
sorry i cant agree with the mantra
if you have to do that then it should be
my heart is beating but i am existing.
do you know what it is to have life and have it in all its abundance?

:flowers::hug:

D

Dollit

I think Garth is a bit spooked at the moment Justlikeawoman and needs some tenderness. I don't think that Sandybob is going to change her mantra that so obviously helps her just because another member doesn't agree with the semantics :LOL: Remember we're here to help and care for one another and some messages are best left for private occasions.

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
sorry i cant agree with the mantra
if you have to do that then it should be
my heart is beating but i am existing.
do you know what it is to have life and have it in all its abundance?

:flowers::hug:

the mantra is not something to be agreed with or not .. its just something that seems relevant at the time .. if my heart WASN'T beating i should be more worried :eek:

i wasn't suggesting other people should do the same .. just what happens to me

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello and :welcome: Garth , i hope you find " us " a good source of support :)

mischief

mischief

Admin
Have you tried any talking therapies? Often one of the processes during some talking therapies is learning about what is happening to you. This in itself can help reduce the anxiety you are experiencing.