• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Looking for a local therapist recommendation

E

EJ20

Hi there,

My depression has returned & I am looking to get some professional help dealing with it. I am after local recommendations of therapists in the cambridgeshire area. Can anyone Help?

Many thanks!

D

Dollit

It would really depend on what sort of therapist you wanted and why - those are pretty broad terms. Have you done an internet search?

E

EJ20

I have done an internet search & found a couple, but nothing beats a personal recommendation. I am interesting in try a CBT approach, if that helps?

GP was not much help in recommending anyone as "they're not NHS sanctioned" so was sympathetic, but not much use.

Do I need to be more specific?

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
There is a website which hold the people that are registered CBT therepists.... I am not in your area but I have been having CBT and believe the therepist I see is registered with the,. I think its http://www.babcp.com/

intel
x

D

Dollit

Intel - GPs can only refer to therapists within the NHS this is because anybody can set themselves up as a therapist whether they are qualified to do the job or not. A GP would open themselves up for a potential law suit if they broke this guideline.

EJ20 - try your local MIND, they may be able to help you find someone. Do you know that you can get online CBT via the NHS for low to medium grade depression?

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I did not mean that I was looking it from two different perspectives if there was anything the NHS could do or if the person was to go privately.

E

EJ20

I knew nothing of the online CBT, I will have a look for that, unless someone has a link?

Thanks for the info, intelgal, is the CBT having a positive effect?

I will look for my local MIND as well.

Thanks again :D

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hiya,

You can try http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/

or

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfo/treatments/cbt.aspx

I found this website pretty informative, I think as Dollit was saying you do have to be careful with private therepist and check out the credentials thouroughly. But CBT is becoming more widely availible on the NHS which is what I was trying to say. CBT has been pretty uselful for me.. not everything has worked but it gives you lots of coping stratergies to help work through things.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Intelgal,

Thanks for the MoodGym link - I'm having a little wander through it at the mo.!

R

riverofdragons

Counselling

The Cogwheel Trust are are fantastic organisation in Cambridge. They have a website.

From personal experience they are very good and have counsellors who can do CBT

E

EJ20

I will look them up, thank you.

I've not been around for a week or so, as I got considerably worse & am having a stay in hospital :(

R

riverofdragons

Hi EJ20,

How are things? Did you get in touch with a therapist in the end?

Any feedback, questions or problems?