• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Looking for a drug regimen for anxiety and depression

X

xodarap3121

Hello. I am curious about people's experiences trying to find the right combination of antidepressants and anti-anxiety medication (for clinical depression, GAD, and SAD, specifically) and how much time (and effort) it took. I, myself, am currently trying to find the right cocktail and would appreciate advice. Thank you in advance.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Most antidepressants do both don't they?

X

xodarap3121

Most antidepressants do both don't they?
Yes but I’ve tried many over the years and it’s clear one Rx doesn’t suffice. I likely need a supplemental antidepressant/anti-anxiety drug.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi ,welcome to the forum x it can take a while to get the right medication working
i hope you find one that helps you soon
welcome to the forum x love Lu x

T

t1a1

Hi @xodarap3121 It took me from around 03/2011 - 01/2020 so a very long time! But for many, or I would hope for most, it doesn't take that long. In my case, I had *severe* and persistent anhedonia that would not go away with any of the medicines available. I also had other really bad issues like complete loss of concentration and emotion. Some call it treatment resistant depression but I like the term unipolar depression. In the end, it was a medicine that isn't FDA approved for my condition. So if that happens it can take a really long time because many pyschs do not treat/approach every patient different, which I think is a big mistake. They prescribe the same meds and are way too conservative when trying off label meds. So my advice is do the research and find the pysch that is:
1) a psychiatrist with a very good reputation for treating mental patients with success That is the most important point....and
2) a very liberal pysch as far as medication, someone open-minded and willing to treat every patient differently.

Because, in the end, it's the psychatrist that really gets you well. Simply using trial and error of each category of pysch med is a recipe for disaster in my opinion, I'm proof as that's what happen to me the first 7 or 8 years. For example, there are SO MANY psychs and nurse practioners that, if they see you ever abused alcohol or a drug or possibly had some mania, they simply give you the same type of drug just a different name, just textbook crap.

So, do a lot research and get the best pysch you can so you have a better chance to getting well soon!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Looking for information on how much each antidepressant and antipsychotics affects serotonin level and receptors Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
Pickle81 Looking for positive /success stories Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
Tara10 Been on Mirtazapine since end of 2008, now looking for alternative due to 3st weight gain & chronic fatigue - any recommendations please? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
F Looking after skin on Lithium Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
L looking for information on IDO1-inhibitors as antidepressants. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
L looking for opinions on antipsychotics Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 8
F Drug Combination Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
jajingna Drug half-life calculator Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
F Sixty Years of Placebo-Controlled Antipsychotic Drug Trials in Acute Schizophrenia: Systematic Review, Bayesian Meta-Analysis, and Meta-Regression of Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
cpuusage The prescription drug for depression that 'drives users to binge on sex, gambling, shopping and food' Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
cpuusage CYP Testing to Help Prevent Dangerous Adverse Drug Reactions Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
Kerome Study says Marijuana may treat Drug Addiction and Mental Health issues Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
cpuusage The aftermath: polypharmacology — protracted psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 18
Nikita The Truth about Psychiatry and Drug Treatments eg.Ritalin Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
cpuusage CEP welcomes report by the BMA on prescribed drug dependence Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
cpuusage Almost All Psych Drug Use Is Unnecessary: Study Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
Kerome 97% of drug trials back the firm that paid for them Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
L New Drug Review Website Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
cpuusage Corrupted Drug Trials Frequently Found, But Facts Hidden from Journals, Public Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
cpuusage What You Need to Know Before Starting a Drug for a Mental Health Problem Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
F I have anxiety, why is my doctor prescribing an antipsychotic? New drug naming system unveiled Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
F Antipsychotics Against Schizophrenia: A Drug Pipeline That’s Running Dry? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
S Drug interaction - Nytol (Benadryl) and Citalopram Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
F Study finds way around schizophrenia drug side-effects Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
N On Antiphyscotic Drug Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 6
cpuusage Chicago Sues Big Pharma For Helping Cause Epidemic Levels Of Prescription Drug Abuse Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
Kerome Reasons for halting drug withdrawal Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
F Psychotropic Drug Use Leveling Off in Preschoolers Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
F Primidone - has anyone tried this drug? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
F The Psychiatric Drug Crisis Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
R Drug Withdrawl Stories Please Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
cpuusage The Myth of the Chemical Cure: A Critique of Psychiatric Drug Treatment Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 27
F Psychotropic Drug Dispensing Increases On Entry To Care Homes Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
M Has anyone had a drug added to control shaking Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
A Psychiatric drug of the future Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
F Researchers Identify New Drug Target for Schizophrenia Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 19
A Introduction to psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
A Conflicts of interest bedevil psychiatric drug research Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
F Depression drug study Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
T Dangerous drug Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
M neurontin has anyone taken this drug please advise if you have Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
O Seroquel treatment regimen for Schizotypal disorder (f 21) Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1