Looking at clinical notes?

N

nightmare57

I have had major concerns my care team are keeping secret folders on me, this gets worse when I become unwell and it manifests into one big conspiracy against me. My community nurse arranged for all my NHS folders to be shipped to the community learning disability office, All 8 of the folders which are dated by year. It had all my medical notes in them. I had 2 hours this morning to read through them (we could only book a room fro 2 hours) and we are going to arrange to meet up in two weeks for another session reading them.

I think my community nurse is being very transparent with me to ease my anxieties around secret folders.

I was looking for information on me being a faker because I feel liker a faker because I genuinely think I have nothing wrong with me. What I got from the folders is that my medical team have been very thorough and I didn't read anything that suggests I am a faker.

Any anybody else ever had access to their medical folders? Have you been given the opportunity?

Last edited:
Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hi Nightmare. Yes, I've obtained my medical records and I'm half sorry I did. My original diagnosis was WRONG. There were many errors. It was very upsetting. But I also got to correct these things; to put my own page of corrections into my medical records.

One item that was WRONG was it said I hallucinated in the mental hospital. That was completely not true. It really irritates me that people can be so sloppy with someone else's important documents. :eek2:

Last edited:
FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

I lost trust in them now as I asked to see a piece of paper written about me that the psychologist had written, and I was refused.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

I might need to see my notes, as I have found out I might never have had paranoid schizophrenia and actually have delusional disorder.

N

nightmare57

In 8 years I have been tested for ASD traits - ADHD - EUPD - BPII - BP psychotic features - and now I have Schizoaffective Disorder and Attachment Disorder They finally come to the conclusion of SZA and that has stuck for last 5 years. Mayflower who's to say if you have a new psychiatrist it's not going to change from delusional disorder back to paranoid schizophrenia? Mental illness is very subjective depending on the psychiatrist involved.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

In 8 years I have been tested for ASD traits - ADHD - EUPD - BPII - BP psychotic features - and now I have Schizoaffective Disorder and Attachment Disorder They finally come to the conclusion of SZA and that has stuck for last 5 years. Mayflower who's to say if you have a new psychiatrist it's not going to change from delusional disorder back to paranoid schizophrenia? Mental illness is very subjective depending on the psychiatrist involved.
Thanks, I will have to see what they say.

N

nightmare57

Thanks, I will have to see what they say.
To get access to your information you have to fill a form in from your MH trust Information Governance. Think about what information you want and you can write it on the form. Be thorough with the information you want as they will send you lots irrelevant stuff. A good standing point is psychiatric reports, psychology reports, risk assessments, etc. You might have to pay for them but I didn't with mine.

J

JohnE

Obtaining all my medical records and mental health team records was one if the best things I have done . I was beginning paranoid over the lack of support and the records have me some clarity. Its also helping me fight to get the support reinstated.
The downside is records often are manipulative and contain lies and differing opinions . In some cases they are quite difficult to read and may cause a lot of stress .
One chaps records had the CMHT making some quite unpleasant comments .
For me it's worthwhile getting everything, if you give services the opportunity to omit certain things they may use that to their advantage .

Kind regards
John

F

Funnyday

My notes included information that was made up about me. When I questioned this being held. All that they offered was to let me say on the notes that it was false info.

J

JohnE

Funnyday , that sort of thing is quite common . Sadly what happens is other healthcare professionals read the notes and just assume what is written is correct.
Having the opportunity to have your say good. I'm not sure if you might have done so ?
The ICO , Infirmation commissioners office suggests it's possible to have incorrect information redacted or amended .
I think they call it rectification but I've heard it's a difficult and often unsuccessful process . None the less something I will look into next year .
John

P

Pollypop

It really is a good idea to see your notes (if you want to)

I am thinking of applying as I saw some notes by accident that had been sent.
I discovered the cbt therapist had written I withdrew from the course.
In fact she was absent for 5 weeks. She did not record this.
That means I am considered at fault.

I saw an entry my psychiatrist had put I had received benefit from seeing
a spiritualist. I have never seen one.

A key worker made so many mistakes the police became involved and
included my family as well.
Nobody will tell me what her report contained.

My cpn made a review that gave wrong gp, my housing as private landlord and owner
occupiers, and I was single, had a partner and was married.

It also had my name and that of another person of the opposite sex directly
together in the same column. There are too many more to mention.

Contacting the team manager, she made an amended review.
This had 3 pages missing.

A new psychiatrist asked why I had refused therapy.
It had never been offered.

I consider this frightening and incompetent.
I dread to think what my file contains.

J

JohnE

Hi Pollypop
I think you have highlighted one of the main issues very well , it's not just that people write things on records that are untrue, it's worse because other staff reading it form incorrect opinions too and that may affect your treatment.

If the Police looked into events surrounding a Key worker and you never heard back . It would also be possible to send a subject access request to the Police for that information.
Best wishes
John

F

Funnyday

They wrote that I had tampered with the electricity on my block of flats. That I had followed a neighbour to their work place at a local shops and started pulling faces at them in the window. They also wrote that my brother died from being electricuted. Other blatant lies.

N

natalie

I personally have always believed never, never to request, or pass on the offering of seeing my mental health medical records or notes, that it might well truly scare me off, via the diagnosis, and I have been told, that I glean towards bipolar no number specified 1 or 2 no, and glean much more towards the szchiophrenia end, and I believe them, verbablly.and I believe in them so in that, I have been on medication, for years and know myself, when with it, not out of it, I have been very unwell, with problems back in 2001 and 2003, and a big big big epsisode, phsycosis wise, back in 2004, and szchiophrenia away on holidays combined.

So personally no, I never would ask, or pass on an offering for seeing my medical records, or mental health notes, I just don't wish to know, they would very much scare me off. So I am a firm believer, in never to see my mental health notes, via CMHT, or the GP services, I can very much trust them.

fazza

fazza

I personally have always believed never, never to request, or pass on the offering of seeing my mental health medical records or notes, that it might well truly scare me off, via the diagnosis, and I have been told, that I glean towards bipolar no number specified 1 or 2 no, and glean much more towards the szchiophrenia end, and I believe them, verbablly.and I believe in them so in that, I have been on medication, for years and know myself, when with it, not out of it, I have been very unwell, with problems back in 2001 and 2003, and a big big big epsisode, phsycosis wise, back in 2004, and szchiophrenia away on holidays combined.

So personally no, I never would ask, or pass on an offering for seeing my medical records, or mental health notes, I just don't wish to know, they would very much scare me off. So I am a firm believer, in never to see my mental health notes, via CMHT, or the GP services, I can very much trust them.

So you are not even curious.
In my notes it says that I refused clozapine. In reality clozapine was wiping out my white blood cells and was killing me. I was taken off it. I did not refuse it.
When I saw this in my notes I hit the roof. I had it amended and now it states clearly That I did not refuse it.

It is worthwhile checking to see what these people are writing about you. After all We are supposed to trust them.

You can only trust yourself.

Last edited: