• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Long term fluoxetine use and suicidal ideation

L

LittleGlitter

Hi all
I have been on fluoxetine a long time on and off. My dose was upped in November 2018 due to crippling anxiety and depression to the point where I was off work. I did feel it helped initially but recently I’ve been having horrible thoughts about self harm/suicide. I haven’t and don’t think I will act on these thoughts and have a GP appt booked in to speak to them.
I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this following long term use of fluoxetine - I know the warnings state that it can happen within the first 4-6 weeks but I wasn’t expecting it following nearly ten years of use.
Did anyone find changing their medication or combining medications helped?
I’m reluctant to change fluoxetine as I know it’s a nightmare trying to come off it and I’ve just recently started a new job hence why I was wondering if combining it with something else may be a suggestion.
Many thanks 🙏🏻

Foxjo

Foxjo

Hi littleglitter,
I have had suicidal idealisation and self harm thoughts, im not on Fluoxetine though.
I just wanted to pop by and offer my support to you while some other members come along.
Im glad you have booked an appointment with your gp, please be really honest with them so that you get the right kind of support.

Remember that these thoughts are just that- thoughts. You do not have to act on them.
They will also pass. Try distraction techniques like watching a favourite film, doing some hobby (i like cross stitch as it keeps my mind and hands busy).

Keep talking,
Hugs
Fox

A

Alladyn1919

Hi all
I have been on fluoxetine a long time on and off. My dose was upped in November 2018 due to crippling anxiety and depression to the point where I was off work. I did feel it helped initially but recently I’ve been having horrible thoughts about self harm/suicide. I haven’t and don’t think I will act on these thoughts and have a GP appt booked in to speak to them.
I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this following long term use of fluoxetine - I know the warnings state that it can happen within the first 4-6 weeks but I wasn’t expecting it following nearly ten years of use.
Did anyone find changing their medication or combining medications helped?
I’m reluctant to change fluoxetine as I know it’s a nightmare trying to come off it and I’ve just recently started a new job hence why I was wondering if combining it with something else may be a suggestion.
Many thanks 🙏🏻

I don't know about usual effectiveness of fluoxetine for others, so I wouldn't like to make any suggestions whether to continue it or not.But for me fluoxetine was the worst ssri I tried.The best for me was lexapro , no wonder drug but definitely helpful.Though I coulkdn't get full benefit from it due to insomnia if I took full dose,that is 20mg.
From what I read combining one antidepressant with something else might make sense but I know too little about it to make any suggestions.
However if you'd like to switch that fluoxetine for something else, I think it is possible if the other antidepressant you'd like to try doesn't have an important interaction with fluoxetine (it should be thoroughly checked).If it doesn't you can just very slowly diminish the dose of fluoxetine and very slowly increase the dose of that another drug, taking it rather at another time of the day, starting, of course from very minimal.And after maybe even several months if necessary you can switch completely to that another drug.That's my view, but I don't necessarily advocate changing that fluoxetine, just propose what to do if you decide for such a change.

Alladyn1919