Long Lasting Effects From Cannabis..?

K

Kevin1981

Hiya, i am a 37 year old male.

I have been completely sober from cigarettes, alcohol and drugs for seven years.

When i was around 22 years of age i was drinking a lot, taking stimulants and smoking cannabis.

I started to get very paranoid and i also got other pyschological problems.

I stopped the cannabis straight away as i was very confident that it was the cannabis that caused my mental health issues.

The paranoia left rather quickly but i have been left with other psychological problems that cause me a great deal of stress and pain.

I was just wondering if there was anyone else who can relate to my problem. I was wondering if there was anybody who has bad long lasting mental health problems due to smoking cannabis ?

I am looking for other unlucky people who have bad mental health problems due to smoking cannabis as i would really like to talk to them about there experiences and how they cope ect…

Thanks..

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hi Kevin. I also had severe paranoia when I smoked cannabis around other people. By myself it never happened. Many years ago. No current effects from that time.

G

George10111

Hi Kevin. I had a similar issue. Let me say first that I'm way more sensitive to the effects of cannabis then a lot of other people i know. If I smoke I can feel the effects well into the next day, not just feeling kind of spacey but still in the high. I've even felt the effects linger for weeks. It comes and goes, as 'flashbacks' for me. Don't let that scare you though, its normal. Cannabis is relatively safe.

I get irrational from cannabis sometimes then the next day when I've come down mostly I realize my anxiety and paranoias were drug induced. Long lasting mental health problems from cannabis could be directly or indirectly related. For instance, how did you smoke? Was it a glass pipe, a bong, joint, etc. When I was a kid I smoked through old soda cans and I'm almost certain now that's what caused my chronic heavy metal poisoning later in my teenage years. It was either an apple pipe or a can, that being beside the point, a joint or a glass piece shouldn't hurt you.

What I'm saying is it can or it can't have long lasting negative effects, depending on your method of use, e.g. what you smoked through. Smoking through foil or aluminum pipes isn't good. I have a long story if you want I could email it to you personally, about how I overcame that. Pertaining to your situation, I don't think cannabis itself, alone will cause negative effects. If something's bothering you, you should certainly go see your doctor. Good luck

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I honestly have not heard of anyone having long lasting effects from weed.Never heard of anyone still being high from it the next day,that sure must be some potent stuff to do that.Even the strains that has made me have anxiety or panic has worn off in a few hours at the most.

I have,however,read before that sometimes weed can bring out mental illness that is already there in some individuals.That it doesn't actually cause mental illness but rather just brings it out.

K

Kevin1981

Thanks for the replies..

I was absolutely fine up until i hit 22 and i was smoking a lot of weed. I started to become hyper aware of where i was looking and i would automatically look into peoples eyes. There became an internal battle in my mind and it has stuck with me since then.

I find it stressful and painful to interact and be around people and it was the cannabis that triggered all of this off.

I tried some medication recently but it has been giving anxiety attacks so i am unmedicated atm.

I am in the process of trying to get some talk therapy..

But life is hard atm I am signed off from work and i isolate a lot..

I am okay, but i feel smoking cannabis all those years ago has ruined my life, it definitely has had a big negative impact on it. And yes, i feel like i am in a small 1% minority where cannabis has had a major, long lasting, negative effect on me !

K

Kevin1981

Kevin, I'm really truly sorry this has happened to you from smoking weed when you were younger.
Aww, thanks :)

Yeah, things are not great for me right now but i will soldier on and i will try to stay positive !

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

i havent had a spliff for at least 14-15 years,
whether its effected my paranoia i dont know

i wish i could have medicinal cannabis,
not to get high but to help with the pain

G

Goofball

I don't know if there are any long-lasting effects of cannabis, I recall doctors saying there are, especially if you smoke on your younger years. For me, I don't think there were any except psychosis but I suspect that was stress-induced since my cannabis voices went away the next day.

I'd be careful with medication if I were you, they have some real side-effects like loss of emotion, loss of sexual drive and reduced blood flow in my case. The docs don't always know what's best, but medication can be good first aid. I just don't see it as a long-term solution, not with hearing voices at least.

I can tell you from experience that soldiering on alone won't carry you to the finish line in one piece, but you took a right step in coming here to talk about your problems. You should find someone you can confine these things to, friend or family member or a psychologist or even a support group. Psychiatrists have these forms to determine what's bothering you, be it anxiety or depression or anything else, but they tend to offer meds too and hospitalization where you have to take meds so I'd steer clear of them. Psychologist is my first pick if I can afford it.
Talking about it often helps, especially in peer support groups and you should be able to go there if you just suspect you're being afflicted by the thing, be it hearing voices or anxiety or whatever.

K

Kevin1981

Hiya, sorry for the late reply. Yes, talking to people who i get along with and trust is very important and i a great way to process what is going on for me. Talking about my problems is probably the main toll that helps me cope with my situation.

I have been going to narcotics anonymous meetings for nearly 10 years so i have people who i can talk too on the phone and they help me navigate through life. I am lucky because i do have people i can talk to and i have learnt that talking is a massive help and relieves the stress and pressure that i feel from suffering with bad mental health.

R

Ramson bangers

Loss of ambition, ability to plan reach goals etc, unable to hold general conversation with people, finding it difficult to be productive all may or may not be attributed to my cannabis use.
Although considering i smoke about 1/2 ounce a week in my opinion the long lasting effects of cannabis on the brain seem relatively harmless and my account would say there are some positive effects mentally, its more a lifestyle changer in many aspects.

In my experience it can act as a catalyst to things such as paranoia and general sensitivity towards emotions. I have definately had ups and downs whilst smoking it but im much safer in the environment i have created for myself compared to the one i grew up in. That makes a difference to me.

schizolanza

schizolanza

Hi Kevin.
Just wondered how you know that cannabis is to blame for your issues? Seen as you were drinking 'a lot' and taking 'stimulants' ?