• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Lonely in college

L

Lonewalker

So I wrote here a few months ago. I have had friendship issues at college and it has been a month since the new semester started and I feel lonelier than ever. Most of the days I find it hard to even leave the bed and get out. I am skipping classes everyday. I feel like I am running away from my problems rather than to face them. I feel no pleasure in seeing my old friends move on and look happy as ever as I slowly drown in my depression and loneliness. If anyone out there who has the same issues and wants to talk to me about it privately, it would be great.

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
Hi Lonewalker,

I suffered with depression when I was at uni. Does your college offer a councelling service. Its often a lot quicker than accessing NHS services. Have you spoken to your GP about how you are feeling as they may be able to help too. I also highly reccomend a book by Susan Jeffers called Dare to connect, this really helped me.

Set yourself small goals each day eg having a wash, getting dressed, eating a meal.

Its also worth speaking to one of your tutors about how you are feeling as it will be affecting your grades and they may be able to offer support eg extending assignment deadlines and even take your depression into consideration when grading you. I sent a Drs letter in covering my final year at uni when they graded me.

L

Lonewalker

Hi Lonewalker,

I suffered with depression when I was at uni. Does your college offer a councelling service. Its often a lot quicker than accessing NHS services. Have you spoken to your GP about how you are feeling as they may be able to help too. I also highly reccomend a book by Susan Jeffers called Dare to connect, this really helped me.

Set yourself small goals each day eg having a wash, getting dressed, eating a meal.

Its also worth speaking to one of your tutors about how you are feeling as it will be affecting your grades and they may be able to offer support eg extending assignment deadlines and even take your depression into consideration when grading you. I sent a Drs letter in covering my final year at uni when they graded me.
Well I am not from the US so things work a little differently here. We don't have a service for mental health issues and we don't get assignments but we get really hard and frustrating midterms and finals weeks. I will see a psychiatrist and a neurologist soon but I am not sure what will happen. I think I have insomnia, too. I would usually go to bed around 2 am but now I can't sleep until 4 am... I will look for that book and get it if they're selling it in our country, though. Anyway, thanks