• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Loneliness – The Dilemma of the Awakening Mind

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I get the bog-standard isolation type loneliness, but I do very much relate to the type of loneliness described here too.

It's odd being in a town that prides itself (and capitalises - have I spelt that right?!) on 'being spiritual'.
It's nice in that i've met more like-minded people here than elsewhere.
But I do see a different, almost self-imposed sort of loneliness that happens when someone is incredibly arrogant with their "spirituality" and feels like nobody appreciates their greatness. :rolleyes:

For me, I have to have a balance between being a bit mainstream and also being on a soul journey.

D

Deliah

This resonates with me. It has been a big part of my journey to accept that there isn't the possibility of understanding from most people. It means that when I do talk with one of my two friends who do have awareness by phone, that it feels like gold dust to me. Energy passing between us. It also feels that way with my therapist. I have let most of my friends go. It seemed pointless to have friend ships with people without any communication, without any curiosity. I think it is the main reason that I formed an attachment to my therapist, because of her vibration. I frequently come away from a conversation and am aware that nothing was communicated. I have an acceptance of this these days, but I struggled with it for a long time with it before this. It was interesting for me when I saw my parents in December to be have a conversation in which I realised they believed themselves to know what I was talking about, while I knew they absolutely didn't and also that they didn't have the awareness to have that understanding and so I just nodded a few times. I feel blessed to have Buddhist centre quite close to me. When I go there, I feel with company. My old friend Antonia, who I have let go of dropped by before Christmas. I said to her I've changed. We don't have a language we can talk in with each other anymore, because my language has changed and I can't share things with you anymore. It's nothing that you've done, I just feel that I need to start again with my friendships. I know this is hard for you. She couldn't understand. That wasn't possible. It isn't her experience. I will find my friends and I feel that it was the best decision for me. I guess I have used my voices for company a great deal. In that way I am blessed. I think I would feel massively alone if I didn't have that particular gift. D xx

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Sorry...I think it all sounds elitist, self- aggrandising and patronising.

M

Mastiff mom

I have been lonely all my life -- from not fitting in to going my own way spiritually. I believe we all have a purpose in this life-- mainly to love each other and ourselves ( and for me God). Love is the main thing for me and humility. How can I look down or condemn others without being a hypocrite? I've also had experiences I can't explain within the context of this reality. But that's another thread, I think.

D

Deliah

I find myself better able to be around other people suffering on this path. It doesn't hurt me in the way I used to feel and I able to be present with them without all the feelings of responsibility that I had in my life previously and without a need to be needed or to help with feeling important in it. I'm so grateful for my growth and the true compassion I now have. I am aware that most people are asleep as the article describes but I need a lot less of others these days and I know that have much to give in this life. D x

Q

Quickduck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have experienced loneliness too; not the loneliness that comes from not having people around; but the loneliness which comes of not having someone I can connect with. I believe each person's life is a spiritual journey, a quest for meaning. Love is the well spring of ultimate meaning. Love for God, love of those around us, love of our fate however difficult that might be is what gives our lives meaning.

Kerome

Kerome

Sorry...I think it all sounds elitist, self- aggrandising and patronising.
Haha, yes, there is definitely a danger of that. The whole idea of viewing spiritual advancement as a kind of status ladder which you stand on, someone a few steps above, others a few steps below, is a major trap which can end up feeding the ego in a big way.

I don't think a spiritual path is truly a lonely one, one is surrounded by other seekers who you can turn to for fellowship and advice. Often there is at least something you can learn from another seeker, if you have the insight to see it. It is a question of being willing to open the door, not spending your days in solitude. And I always feel connected to the many other people in my life, family and friends.

But then I don't tend to feel much in the way of negative effects when I am with people. At most I feel a lack of positive feedback, a kind of neutrality, as if we are both missing the connection on one level. I have that even with many members of my family. But often it only takes a joke or a little shared information to come back to a level where we do connect. So I still get a lot out of the time spent.

For everyone I think there is a journey, to come to terms with your own individuality and uniqueness and how that makes you stand apart on the one hand, and how we are all connected on levels that all humanity shares in compassion and life experiences on the other hand. Spirituality and defining yourself in that way just adds an extra dimension to that.

D

Deliah

Haha, yes, there is definitely a danger of that. The whole idea of viewing spiritual advancement as a kind of status ladder which you stand on, someone a few steps above, others a few steps below, is a major trap which can end up feeding the ego in a big way.

Kerome, I did exactly that for quite some time and I have spoken with other who also went down that trail for a while. It's crazy when you perceive it all in away which makes you more in judgment of yourself and others rather than less. It's an easy one to trip into when you start out. Put myself and others I would think through quite an unpleasant time but realised in eventually. Grateful that I can be aware now of that kind of thinking. D x