• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Living with a Narcissistic mother, i feel suicidal

D

Depressed psychstudent

I am 21 years old and currently living with a Narcissistic mother whose abuse is getting worse with each day. I am dependent on her for living so there is no way of walking out. There is a huge stigma associated with breaking up with toxic mothers in India because here people think theu are the epitome of unconditional love (lol).
Now because of quarantine, her abuse is getting worse and i don't know how to handle it. In the recent past, I've come very close to attempting suicide, but every time i stopped myself. I don't think i can reason with myself and stop it from happening anymore.

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

Unfortunately some parents think unconditional love is a roof over your head and food on the table ... What separated that from an orphanage. ... My wife has taught me what real unconditional love is .. and luckily we do the best we can to pass that onto our beautiful children who make us so proud . Don't let your mother's lack of emotion ever stop you being the beautiful being you can be .

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

I am 21 years old and currently living with a Narcissistic mother whose abuse is getting worse with each day. I am dependent on her for living so there is no way of walking out. There is a huge stigma associated with breaking up with toxic mothers in India because here people think theu are the epitome of unconditional love (lol).
Now because of quarantine, her abuse is getting worse and i don't know how to handle it. In the recent past, I've come very close to attempting suicide, but every time i stopped myself. I don't think i can reason with myself and stop it from happening anymore.
Oh and I bet you'll make an amassing physc therapist or wherever you choose to go in that field one day

CupofJay

CupofJay

Hey, I agree with each and every word you've written. I'm really sorry you're going through this. I live in India too and my Dad is narcissistic moreover my mom isn't affectionate either. It's frustrating. You feel helpless, there's almost nothing you can do.
I found venting on this forum and maintaining a journal quite helpful. You're strong, you stopped yourself once and you have to keep doing it. Please don't let this effect your future. Keep sharing, you can pm me if you want to.

D

Depressed psychstudent

Hey, I agree with each and every word you've written. I'm really sorry you're going through this. I live in India too and my Dad is narcissistic moreover my mom isn't affectionate either. It's frustrating. You feel helpless, there's almost nothing you can do.
I found venting on this forum and maintaining a journal quite helpful. You're strong, you stopped yourself once and you have to keep doing it. Please don't let this effect your future. Keep sharing, you can pm me if you want to.
Thank you for your support. I hope you are able to cope with it too. My father isn't affectionate either. We don't have a working relationship and he has been diagnosed with bipolar which makes it harder to find support from family.
I hope the day comes for people like us where we live the life we deserve to

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
You have my sympathy as i grew up with a narcissistic parent. Do you have any siblings and if so are they treated the same as you. Do you have any family that you can talk to. I know you cant reason with a narcissistic parent as they just turn it all back on you. But i would try and find someone that you can talk openly to. Does your father know what’s happening. I never told mine and can never understand why i didnt , as he would have been appalled if he’d know about out treatment at her hands

D

Depressed psychstudent

You have my sympathy as i grew up with a narcissistic parent. Do you have any siblings and if so are they treated the same as you. Do you have any family that you can talk to. I know you cant reason with a narcissistic parent as they just turn it all back on you. But i would try and find someone that you can talk openly to. Does your father know what’s happening. I never told mine and can never understand why i didnt , as he would have been appalled if he’d know about out treatment at her hands
First of all, thank you so much for your support.
I'll try and explain my situation in brief.
My mother is a narcissist and my father is diagnosed with bipolar. I don't have a working relationship with him. I have a younger sister who is sixteen, and she behaves and treats me just like my mother does.
I hasn't told my father until a few months ago. He didn't react and did nothing. Which wasn't shocking because i knew he wouldn't do anything.
Moreover, my mother has an affair, which is hidden from my father and his side of family.
On the other hand, my mother's side of family are aware of the affair and have shown open support for the affair and the abuse she puts me through. They have hidden this from my father and his family because doing so will result in a divorce and they won't get any money from them. Currently, they have no regrets using them as an ATM.
My parental grandfather is the sole earner of our family and he supports me, but his hands are tied when it comes to dealing with my mother. He said that he cannot do anything about that.
So i am pretty much left alone when it comes to support from family. Previously i have shared my issues with close friends, but they have made it clear that listening to me time and again brings them down. So i have stopped sharing with them.
I used to have sessions with the college counselor. But it had to end because my final year came to an end.
So my only source of support is this online platform