• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Living On Your Own

L

LokiPokey75

I still live at home since I only work part-time. For those that live on their own, how do you afford to do it? What are some things you gave up? How many jobs do you work to maintain an independent lifestyle?

And most importantly, is it working for you or are you drowning in debt?

JessisMe

JessisMe

I still live at home since I only work part-time. For those that live on their own, how do you afford to do it? What are some things you gave up? How many jobs do you work to maintain an independent lifestyle?

And most importantly, is it working for you or are you drowning in debt?
I moved back in with my parents about five years ago. It was only supposed to be a temporary thing but there is no way I can afford to move out and live on my own. I am very dependent on them psychologically too. It makes me so nervous because I know they won’t be around forever.
I’m terrified that I have no future but feel there is nothing that I can do....🙁🙁🙁

L

LokiPokey75

I moved back in with my parents about five years ago. It was only supposed to be a temporary thing but there is no way I can afford to move out and live on my own. I am very dependent on them psychologically too. It makes me so nervous because I know they won’t be around forever.
I’m terrified that I have no future but feel there is nothing that I can do....🙁🙁🙁
I feel you JessisMe! I'm so concerned that my parents will die in a horrible wreck or that something will happen to them and I won't know what to do. I have no other family where I live so it's not like I could move in with anyone. Plus, I have no close friends or a boyfriend. My parents are my world.

I hope you find a way to live on your own someday. I believe in you!

JessisMe

JessisMe

I feel you JessisMe! I'm so concerned that my parents will die in a horrible wreck or that something will happen to them and I won't know what to do. I have no other family where I live so it's not like I could move in with anyone. Plus, I have no close friends or a boyfriend. My parents are my world.

I hope you find a way to live on your own someday. I believe in you!
I’m in the same position it’s terrifying....

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

Both Lokipokey75 and Jessisme. Both of you should take this time to work daily on ypur mental health to prepare yourself for when this occurs.

I live on my own and I have one full time job. I do have debt but thats do to a lot of life circumstances over time.

I would be able to lead a much better lifestyle if i had a roommate. But my mental health couldnt handle it. Im much better on my own.

P

pollypocket88

As my mental health declined to a point where I couldn’t work me and my dog went to go live with my Nan and then I met my partner and we got a place together I was feeling bit better so was able to work part time but now I can’t work he earns a good wage so he’s told me to just concentrate on getting better . My savings have nearly run out . With my health not being so good at the moment with my medication side affects and all my appointments I can’t really work any way i so badly wanna get better and get back to work but pushing my self when I wasn’t ready made me more poorly I recently applied for pip I’m guessing now with all this Covid virus it’s gonna take ages before it’s even looked out I did send off tons of Edvidence so hopefully I’ll hear back from them soon pip isn’t tons of money but it would really help .

I can’t get esa because of my partners income . But I know if you get disability you can be eligible for housing or dss I’m not really sure bout benefits I have only just applied for pip when really I should of applied ages ago but pride gets in the way . It’s hard knowing I was such a hard worker a social person then years back the traumatic event happened and now I hardly leave the house my medication comes with crappy side affects and I’m with a community mental team , I hear things I see things I have really bad ocd and like every one this covid virus has just really set me back health wise mentally .

I’m hoping to get back to work part time later on in the year but I won’t rush my self . I’m praying my pip won’t rake to long ? Do you get any pip or any thing ?

L

LokiPokey75

As my mental health declined to a point where I couldn’t work me and my dog went to go live with my Nan and then I met my partner and we got a place together I was feeling bit better so was able to work part time but now I can’t work he earns a good wage so he’s told me to just concentrate on getting better . My savings have nearly run out . With my health not being so good at the moment with my medication side affects and all my appointments I can’t really work any way i so badly wanna get better and get back to work but pushing my self when I wasn’t ready made me more poorly I recently applied for pip I’m guessing now with all this Covid virus it’s gonna take ages before it’s even looked out I did send off tons of Edvidence so hopefully I’ll hear back from them soon pip isn’t tons of money but it would really help .

I can’t get esa because of my partners income . But I know if you get disability you can be eligible for housing or dss I’m not really sure bout benefits I have only just applied for pip when really I should of applied ages ago but pride gets in the way . It’s hard knowing I was such a hard worker a social person then years back the traumatic event happened and now I hardly leave the house my medication comes with crappy side affects and I’m with a community mental team , I hear things I see things I have really bad ocd and like every one this covid virus has just really set me back health wise mentally .

I’m hoping to get back to work part time later on in the year but I won’t rush my self . I’m praying my pip won’t rake to long ? Do you get any pip or any thing ?
Hi there pollypocket88! I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I'm glad you have a partner who supports you and who wants you to get better. That's at least some consolation during this difficult time.

I don't get any disability, or your version, pip. My dad works full-time and so my parents pay for food, clothing, electric, etc. I don't drive so I don't have to pay for car insurance (but if I do learn to drive, that's another bill I'm not looking forward to!) I'm in a very good position right now when so many people aren't. I don't have to worry about my next paycheck because I always have a place at home. It's hard to want to leave when there's no one to leave for, but I'm afraid I'll never be able to leave.

I wish you all the best in making a living for yourself and getting better. This is a challenging time and situations like yours make it even harder. Stay safe. I hope you are able to conquer your demons and live the life you deserve!

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

I live on my own apart from my cats, I have family living next door though, idk if that counts.

I work a lot at a hospital though, thats how I manage financially.

P

pollypocket88

Are you based in the uk ? Pip is like disability pay but you have to apply and go for assessments for a long time I didn’t do it but it’s got to a point now where I need to help financially so I can contribute to some things .

I do feel very blessed even tho I’m really ill . I mean after this covid people have lost there jobs my partner is a key worker so he has to work so we are doing ok financially.

P

pollypocket88

Is there any one who takes anti psychotics and can hold down a full time job ? That would give me hope for the future

introverted_drummer

introverted_drummer

I lived on my own for a few years in early young adulthood. It... really... didn't work out, to say the least.
I'll give the short version:
I ended up living with a horrible roommate who I developed feelings for and it led to a very unhealthy relationship. When that relationship ended, this person took most of what was mine, including some of my animals. There was really nothing I could do about it because we weren't married so it wasn't like we could file for divorce, and I also didn't want to fight it for fear of starting the cycle of abuse over again.

I moved in with my aunt and uncle (my parents are not in the picture anymore). It was supposed to be temporary but I'm still here because I don't make enough money to support myself without a roommate, and I really hesitate to find another roommate unless it's someone I know very well already.

I don't know if/when I'll be able to live on my own again, and living with my family is pretty hard on my mental health, to be honest.

P

pollypocket88

It’s not so easy to just get some where is it it’s so hard it’s easier said than done . And I find that people don’t even want to rent to people with health problems they judge you on that alone . And me personally with my illness I couldn’t have a house mate either .

I’m blessed to have a partner who’s so supportive . Even tho work places claim to be open to taking on people with mental illness a lot talk crap in the interview and then when they realise oh ok this person has serious mental health issues they do nothing and prob sack you .

It’s really hard out there I have done my sofa surfing days with my little dog by my side if it wasn’t for him I would of given up on life .

L

LokiPokey75

Are you based in the uk ? Pip is like disability pay but you have to apply and go for assessments for a long time I didn’t do it but it’s got to a point now where I need to help financially so I can contribute to some things .

I do feel very blessed even tho I’m really ill . I mean after this covid people have lost there jobs my partner is a key worker so he has to work so we are doing ok financially.
I'm based in the U.S., so I'm su
I lived on my own for a few years in early young adulthood. It... really... didn't work out, to say the least.
I'll give the short version:
I ended up living with a horrible roommate who I developed feelings for and it led to a very unhealthy relationship. When that relationship ended, this person took most of what was mine, including some of my animals. There was really nothing I could do about it because we weren't married so it wasn't like we could file for divorce, and I also didn't want to fight it for fear of starting the cycle of abuse over again.

I moved in with my aunt and uncle (my parents are not in the picture anymore). It was supposed to be temporary but I'm still here because I don't make enough money to support myself without a roommate, and I really hesitate to find another roommate unless it's someone I know very well already.

I don't know if/when I'll be able to live on my own again, and living with my family is pretty hard on my mental health, to be honest.
Thank you introverted_drummer for sharing your story in this thread! That sounds like a terrible situation and I'm glad you got out of it. To lose your animals! I'm sure that was a hard hit. Our pets can be a connection to life when people have failed us.

It's easy to save living with your family will be temporary, but when you don't have a plan, it can become far longer than you ever expected or hoped for. I can imagine it must be hard to find a roommate. It's hard enough making friends let alone finding somebody you can live with that will pitch in the rent. Good luck with the search!

I know it must be taxing to think you'll never be on your own, but I believe you will improve enough in your mental health that you'll be able to make greater life decisions that will put you on a better path. I'm rooting for your success!

R

rosssack

yea I live alone pip is a big help good look with this

R

rawlinsc

I live in supportive housing for people with mental illness. The rent is a percentage of my income so I can always afford it