• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Living in my body feels intolerable

E

Emerald987292

I was wondering if anyone has a similar experience of feeling so uncomfortable in their body not just mentally but also physically. I feel itchy. I hate feeling clothing, that isnt sweats, against my skin. Anything that brings any type of awareness to my body feels intolerable. Feeling this way mentally and physically makes me live in sweats/large (soft) clothing and often times not able to get out of bed or leave the house. It feels similar to a depression exhaustion but I believe its primarily fueled by not wanting to face the discomfort of living in my body.

I wanted to reach out because I'm just really struggling with this.. I havent been able to get out of bed except for going to the kitchen and bathroom for about a week and a half.

Im new here btw.. I was hospitalized about a year ago for anorexia and went through weight recovery. My weight is now stable and in a healthy BMI but my quality of life is abysmal.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
anxiety and frustration will make alot of other things worse. like they can increase allergies and make you feel hot. or other things

the body works best when your calm

S

StarrySky81

Yes, I absolutely get you. I have had anorexia but regained my weight and find it intolerable. I often put ‘normal’ clothes on to go out the house (if I really must) then run upstairs as soon as I’m home to change into large loose clothes so I can’t ‘feel’ my body. Anything that touches me or is at all snug against me makes me so aware of my body and I hate it.
That said, not being able to get out of bed for over a week makes me think you need to speak to your GP, it sounds like you are depressed....sorry if I’m wrong.

K

katwomyn3

Does it feel like you can't stand living in your own skin? I am not a therapist. But, how you described this, is how I feel many days. I don't know what else to do besides go on about my day. Which I have the luxury to do so. I have not been out of a job here in the U.S. and yet I feel like I want to rip myself out of my body on these day and I have job to do to be able to distract myself from these feelings. And based on my own therapy, the coping mechanisms we make for ourselves become jobs. We wish they can be second nature. But, that is the requirement when our issues with out bodies needs to be. We need to be able to differentiate when a negative feeling comes and force ourselves to turn to a healthier coping mechanism. Whatever that may be.

P

Purpleplum

You say you went through weight recovery...did you go through any mental recovery which is what was causing it?