Living in a toxic home with depression

S

Star483

I’ve been living in my boyfriends parents home for almost a year now, we graduated university and we couldn’t afford to get our own place so his parents took us in. My mental health has never been good but this past year my boyfriends dad has been so horrible towards me that I feel like I’m slowly being chipped away. He is so controlling and manipulative over his two boys and he’s now putting that on me. I’m a 24 year old woman and we’re treated like 6 year olds. E.g I get less food at dinner because he thinks I don’t need as much as the boys, my 23 year old boyfriend and I aren’t allowed friends in our bedroom because he says no. I am in his eyes incapable of cooking a meal without him interfering and doing it “properly”. All the while I’m breaking down most nights in tears because I mentally can’t take it anymore and my boyfriend doesn’t try and fix it because it’s all he’s ever know with his dad. Lately he’s pushed me too far with the comments and mistreatment that I’m not ok. But I feel stuck, and I have no one to talk to. I don’t want to scare my family as they live in a different county and I don’t want to go back there. What should I do?

J

johnram

Sorry to hear you are going through this, it does sound challenging.

I wonder if you can challenge your boyfriend a bit further? or even challenge dad? - i understand that is hard, but otherwise not sure what other options? talk to the mum? spend more time out?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Mental Health Experiences 30
H Mental Health Experiences 1
C Mental Health Experiences 14