• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

LITHIUM RECOVERY

dubblemonkey

dubblemonkey

this thread might be my most important ever

never have I ever attempted to be my real self

so many times and so often the medical world has sent me on the most bullshit adventure and that anybody survived is a fucking miracle!

wake up everyday like never alive

they gave me lithium for 6 fucking years and I was convinced

and now backing right off?... I am fucking scared

but this is the best decision of my life

I have to take control I have to claim my own moment in this life!

I have lived so much pain mental shame....

my entire life has been something to avoid!

H

hopefulinny

I get it! I wake up every day and now live every day as if I’m dead. You can do it!!

OrphanBlack

OrphanBlack

I came off lithium myself this past year. It can be a bit rough, particularly when you cycle off from your last minimum dose to not taking any. However, I wouldn't describe it as horrendous; not great, but not terrible (well, for me anyway).

dubblemonkey

dubblemonkey

this is my experience so far

I went all normal for the first 6 days and then threatened to kill my step Dad.

somehow in passing I recollected my mother saying to me on an ordinary fucking street in an ordinary fucking day...

"honey....I wish Mick would stop smoking"

2 days later in some fucking anti lithium fuck up I called a man I love and threatened to kill him if he didn't quit the smokes!

this kind of behaviour is typical of my BPD but in this situation it was so fucking bad I was lucky to survive killing myself the next 2 days.

I love so hard my family

my lithium withdrawal is still going

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
STAFF NOTE
  • Safety Notice. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

dubblemonkey

dubblemonkey

thankyou daffy

I agree it was important and continue to make the suggestions.

dubblemonkey

dubblemonkey

some of us were never informed

but the wonderful thing about bipolar?

is an uncomfortable will to survive

we can never escape just how smart we are

even at our worst?

the bipolar person is way ahead of everyone else

H

hopefulinny

Are you tapering? What was your dose reduction. Everyone is different but I went from 900 to 780 and my brain and nervous system started firing rapidly within days. I was sweating, in excruciating pain, and couldn’t stop crying. It didn’t feel like a return of symptoms but rather withdrawal. I feel personally there’s no way a return of symptoms can be that fast and it has to be withdrawal. I’m going to try again in February using the Tapering Strips method of 50mg per month over a month.

jb5784

jb5784

I wish I could get off my meds but I’m scared. I feel like the meds slow down my life. But then again I’m in the middle of a manic episode right now.

Gothic Christian

Gothic Christian

I understand--I took Lithium for over 20 years and I landed in the hospital in 2018 because I got Lithium poisoning..My advice is to go to your shrink regularly and follow all of his advice and try to establish a routine for taking your meds.--I know if I don't follow my doctor's advice that I would be in a huge mess..Just my opinion..8-]]

H

hopefulinny

I came off lithium myself this past year. It can be a bit rough, particularly when you cycle off from your last minimum dose to not taking any. However, I wouldn't describe it as horrendous; not great, but not terrible (well, for me anyway).
how did you come off lithium? I’m on extended release and the drop is to 750 which I think might be too big. Thanks!

OrphanBlack

OrphanBlack

how did you come off lithium? I’m on extended release and the drop is to 750 which I think might be too big. Thanks!
So I gradually reduced my dose: so week 1 I went from 800 to 700, week 2 from 700 to 600, and so on. That was pretty much it! Took me around two months to come off it if memory serves?