• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Lithium experiences

Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday

Hi everyone, I am looking for anyone who has been on Lithium. I have been on it for two weeks now. How long does it take to work effectively? Did anyone have any side effects on it? Can you take it along with sleeping tablets? (I keep waking up about every two hours through the night).
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks guys:):)

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
It took five months for me to reach the low end of the therapeutic level aand I was give it to help the anti depressants I'm on work better. I think this was quite a slow build up.

jax

jax

My Pdoc has said that he feels my concentration problems are caused by my lithium - even though my dose has been reduced from 1400 to 1000 mg. It also caused me to develop an under active thyroid. The under active thyroid caused carpal tunnel which I had operated on Saturday. So yeah, lithium has caused me a lot of problems. Of course - these things don't happen to everyone. I was just lucky lol.

T

TOONAFISH

Hiya

I've been on lithium a fair while now. I noticed a bit of weight gain/water retention to begin with which settled down and also it has made my psoriasis flare up which is a total pain in the arse. seems to be working not too bad for me though

thing fish

thing fish

i was on it for a little while but i was not getting favorable results. didn't really help me

E

Eve

Lithium

Hi,
Lithium has usually worked well for me, I take 800mg a day - I think it takes a few weeks to kick in - I take diazepam when I can't sleep and I know this is fine for me - the only side effects I get is thirst and going to the loo alot!
I haven't put weight on through it. Overall it's been a godsend for me :)

F

flamehairedlunatic

I've just had the pre-treatment blood tests and am looking to start taking 400mg sometime next week.

I'm really scared about the side effects, in particular weight gain. I've gained a stone and a half over the last year due to one psych med or another and simply cannot afford to buy a new wardrobe.

I'm hoping that lithium will be the wonder drug, given I've had such little luck with all the others.

Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday

Hi Flame hair,

I have been on Lithium now for two weeks and have had no appetite increase at all so far so all is good. I too have tried lots of different anti-pysch meds, Lithium is my last hope I think but so far, it seems ok. I've also put about two stone on since starting the meds and was seriously beginning to doubt whether I would find one to suit me.

Good luck :)

J

JellyHells

Lithium

Hi I'm on my Fith week of lithium at 600mg, just had blood tests to see if I'm at theraputic level yet, I was pretty close on last bloods. So far I'm not noticing any huge differences, I think more time is required. I've not gained any weight and the initial excessive peeing and thirst has started to reduce a little. I make sure I drink plenty of water. I take zopiclone to sleep and find that a low dose works well and avoids the hangover effect the next day.
Good luck with your programme, I hope the lithium provides you with some releif.(y)

A

Anastassia Florine

I took it for about 2 months, tapering up to 900 mg. It didn't do a thing for me but slow me down... and give me a pain in my kidneys once. But that's just because I hate water (and am known for that, actually). I mean, I hate the taste of just plain water. I really could have been drinking more of other stuff too, though, also. I didn't have any alcohol on the lithium at all, so you know.

S

suzy

The only side effects I've had are that twice I have had a bad flare up of spots. Very red ones which have taken time to fade with products. Glad to say my skin is looking clear now

(Not to worry you or anything)

I'm on 400 mg I was on 600 for a bit