• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Lithium experiences

U

Underdog21

Hi,

I know I've been posting a lot of threads about lithium but I am sick and tired of depression. I've been suffering from depression for about 7 months. I was put on Lithium in January, so this is the fourth month that I've been on this medication (I also take risperidone).Lithium has been working very slowly and very little (can't go to the gym, don't feel like socializing, don't feel any joy or any emotion). Can those of you who are on lithium tell me if this drug works, I am losing my patience.My diagnosis is Bipolar ( I assume it's bipolar 1 because I experienced psychosis). I just called the mental health them and asked if I can talk to a psychiatrist about my situation. Sorry for bombarding this forum with topics on lithium I am just looking for a little re-assurance. Thanks!

Wishbone

Wishbone

That's how it was for me too, the reduction in any kind of zest for life, an even nothingness really, so I requested the change. I don't recall quite how long it was that I gave it but I feel better for being on Depakote now that's for sure. But that's just me, others will swear by Lamotrigine, others feel Lithium works just fine for them. You just have to find the one for you. I'd speak to your Psych or team when you can see what they think.

U

Underdog21

That's how it was for me too, the reduction in any kind of zest for life, an even nothingness really, so I requested the change. I don't recall quite how long it was that I gave it but I feel better for being on Depakote now that's for sure. But that's just me, others will swear by Lamotrigine, others feel Lithium works just fine for them. You just have to find the one for you. I'd speak to your Psych or team when you can see what they think.
Hi Wishbone,

I appreciate your reply. The reason I am unsure is because I did notice some small changes in my mood but very insignificant and it took 3 months and a half just to get here. At this rate another 4-5 months will go by until I see a notable change in my mood if that would happen.

Wishbone

Wishbone

But...some of that time will have been getting to the therapeutic level, so some delay can be put down to that for sure. I definitely gave it a bit longer than this, but it's your call, you've got to live it my friend.

U

Underdog21

But...some of that time will have been getting to the therapeutic level, so some delay can be put down to that for sure. I definitely gave it a bit longer than this, but it's your call, you've got to live it my friend.
Can I ask how long you have been on lithium until you decided to switch to depakote?

Wishbone

Wishbone

I can't remember for sure but it was probably about 6-9 months.