• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Lithium don't work

floater

floater

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Lithium works well for so many people, i'm sorry it has not worked for you. There are many other mood stabilisers you can try.

Stopping medication needs to be done carefully and with your doctor

floater

floater

Think its killing my kidneys, but every time I've tried to kick it I go bonkers, question whether that is chemical withdrawal or return of innate symptoms.

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

I'm in that same boat. It's hard to say, isn't it?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Think its killing my kidneys, but every time I've tried to kick it I go bonkers, question whether that is chemical withdrawal or return of innate symptoms.
Have you had a kidney function test?
It's important my psychiatrist said, to drink several glasses of water per day to help your kidneys
Can you swap lithium for something like aripiprazole?

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

Can you swap lithium for something like aripiprazole?
This is a genuine question, and not specifically to you, Tawny, but why are so many people on this forum so positive about abilify/aripiprazole for bipolar? Here in the Netherlands the only mood stabilisers registered for bipolar maintenance treatment are lithium and seroquel. 2nd choice are sodium valproate and lamotrigine. Only when someone has also psychotic symptoms an antipsychotic is indicated, but any, not specifically aripiprazole.

K

keith74

This is a genuine question, and not specifically to you, Tawny, but why are so many people on this forum so positive about abilify/aripiprazole for bipolar? Here in the Netherlands the only mood stabilisers registered for bipolar maintenance treatment are lithium and seroquel. 2nd choice are sodium valproate and lamotrigine. Only when someone has also psychotic symptoms an antipsychotic is indicated, but any, not specifically aripiprazole.
I believe Seroquel is considered an antipsychotic, not a mood stabilizer.

In any case, monotherapy with an antipsychotic is becoming more common to treat bipolar. In those cases, there is usually some issues with the mood stabilizers for the patient (not comfortable with the side effects) with makes them try an alternative.

floater

floater

I have bizarre thinking and some would say potentially dangerous when its out of whack. Why I've another med that's both a anti-psychotic and anti-depressent. Don't know if it is working since my thinking is still not in line with most peoples on a whole range of issues.

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

I believe Seroquel is considered an antipsychotic, not a mood stabilizer.

In any case, monotherapy with an antipsychotic is becoming more common to treat bipolar. In those cases, there is usually some issues with the mood stabilizers for the patient (not comfortable with the side effects) with makes them try an alternative.
Thanks for your reply.
I know seroquel started off as an antipsychotic but to my knowledge it is now registered for bipolar as a mood stabiliser. At least in my country it is.
I did some research on abilify and it seems the same thing happened with that one. Only not in my country. Yet, I'd say, because from what I've read I now understand why so many people on this forum like it.