• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Lithium compared to antipsychotic

M

Millietopdog

Who has experience with lithium and antipsychotics ?
which one worked better for you?
what side effects did you experience on both.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Probably the biggest thing I've learned so far about this Bipolar thing is that it isn't one size fits all when it comes to meds but definitely seems to depend on the symptoms you typically present with or find the most problematic. Someone that has a big problem with mania will be better suited to certain drugs and those that struggle more so with regular depressions will be more suited to other types. Lithium seems to be a good all rounder. Depakote is maybe better for the mixed states and manic symptoms. Lamotrigine for the depressive. Quetiapine seems to be one of the better antipsychotics for dealing with acute episodes and for something of an antidepressant effect in the longer-term; drugs like Risperidone more for the manic side, etc etc etc.
Which side of things tends to be the biggest problem for yourself?

M

Millietopdog

Hi there,
I usually suffer from depression and every five years I have a manic episode...what about you?

P

Pclovesme

Been on lithium for 12 years. No side effects, kidneys are great. I’m also on limictal. Prior was on a bunch of anti depressants that demolished my mood

Wishbone

Wishbone

@Millietopdog I don't even know anymore! It has developed so much since it all first started. I used to have a lot of time between episodes, mainly depression in the early days, but that time seems to be getting shorter; but mostly it's unpleasant. Hypo's I have maybe one a year of, and they're great, but anything bigger than that and it tends to get dysphoric and I hate that. A mixed state is hell. Depression is still a problem, and cycling between these things happens too regularly for my liking. But I feel like the meds do dampen the severity slightly, or maybe it's that my life doesn't have much in the way of stress in it at the moment. I don't know. Probably a little of the first and a good bit more due to the latter.

I tried Lithium for a bit but felt a bit too zombiefied. Quetiapine I tried before but was on other meds at the time too and was in a mixed state at the time. I take Depakote now and have PRN antipsychotics, which are supposed to be Risperidone, but at the minute I'm taking some old Quetiapine I still had because I felt myself slipping into a hole and the combination seems to have stopped that.

R

Roxylox

Been on lithium for 12 years. No side effects, kidneys are great. I’m also on limictal. Prior was on a bunch of anti depressants that demolished my mood
Im 7 years on Lithium alone, no side affects so far. Antipsycotic worked fine for me for 24 years up to that