• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Lithium and water intake

U

Underdog21

Hi,

I've been on lithium for 3 months now and I have been drinking 3 litres of water every day. Do you guys think I am over doing it? I am worried about my kidney. I noticed I have to plan my day around my bathroom trips which I don't like at all. Are you guys worried about your kidneys and thyroid?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Hi,

I've been on lithium for 3 months now and I have been drinking 3 litres of water every day. Do you guys think I am over doing it? I am worried about my kidney. I noticed I have to plan my day around my bathroom trips which I don't like at all. Are you guys worried about your kidneys and thyroid?
My consultant said 2 litres per day

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I'd mention to your dr how much your drinking. I assume you have regular blood tests?
Take care

Wishbone

Wishbone

Stupid question maybe but, are you drinking that much because you feel the need to or because you think you ought to?

U

Underdog21

Stupid question maybe but, are you drinking that much because you feel the need to or because you think you ought to?
Hi Wishbone,

I am drinking that much because I am worried about kidney failure from lithium.

L

LadyDomino

Your GP should be checking your kidney function and throid levels at 3 mothly intervals.

I drink about 2 litres a day.

My thyroid is f***ed BUT I'm on thyroxine and that means I get free prescriptions - I couldn't afford all my meds otherwise.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Hi Wishbone,

I am drinking that much because I am worried about kidney failure from lithium.
Ah okay, so the latter. Are you still getting bloods checked because - stating the obvious again - if you reduce that intake of water you're going to be effecting your Lithium levels, so be careful with it all. But as it is, you're probably ok with that intake depending on how active you are and how much liquid you get from food anyway.

U

Underdog21

Your GP should be checking your kidney function and throid levels at 3 mothly intervals.

I drink about 2 litres a day.

My thyroid is f***ed BUT I'm on thyroxine and that means I get free prescriptions - I couldn't afford all my meds otherwise.
Have you asked your doctor if there are other options since your thyroid is affected?

L

LadyDomino

Everytime I've tried to come off lithium I've gone into severe mania. I'm better off as I am.

G

Galaxy

I've recently started lithium (few months ago) and didn't even know I should be drinking so much. Is it a definite rule you should be drinking the 2 litres or so a day? I drink nothing like that amount

As an aside, anyone can get a prescription pre payment certificate which is £108.10 for the year but covers any/all prescription costs (and can be paid monthly) so it's much cheaper than paying individually if you are on one or more than 1 regular monthly prescriptions (£9.00 per month for the certificate versus £9.35 single prescription fee)

R

rawlinsc

I have been on lithium and other mood stabilizers before it. I was always thirsty with or without lithium. I was drinking a gallon of water a day but my psychiatrist says you only need a half gallon. I cut down my water intake. Now I need to cut down my diet soda intake.

U

Underdog21

I've recently started lithium (few months ago) and didn't even know I should be drinking so much. Is it a definite rule you should be drinking the 2 litres or so a day? I drink nothing like that amount

As an aside, anyone can get a prescription pre payment certificate which is £108.10 for the year but covers any/all prescription costs (and can be paid monthly) so it's much cheaper than paying individually if you are on one or more than 1 regular monthly prescriptions (£9.00 per month for the certificate versus £9.35 single prescription fee)
There's no written rule that you should drink 2 litres of water a day, but from what I understand lithium goes through kidneys so flushing your kidneys is important. My psyhciatrist told me don't drink too much but don't drink too little (a statement Boris Johnson would make haha).

U

Underdog21

I have been on lithium and other mood stabilizers before it. I was always thirsty with or without lithium. I was drinking a gallon of water a day but my psychiatrist says you only need a half gallon. I cut down my water intake. Now I need to cut down my diet soda intake.
I drink soda too, coke mainly I need to start cutting that down.