Lithium and the liver

M

macca78

Hi everyone

Hope we're ok today. Just a quickie...

Anyone on lithium who gets called in for Liver Function tests?? I've been sent letter to say mine is due. I had routine bloods done 7 weeks ago before I started lithium so maybe there was something abnormal. Anyway, I'm shitting myself a bit, and just wondered if anyone on lithium could throw some light on the subject?

Cheers

razza

razza

Im going for a lithium level test and my doctor also ordered a full blood examination (FBE), electrolyte and liver function test (E/LFTs), thyroid test (TSH). They are all routine tests so I wouldn't be too concerned about the liver function test unless the numbers come back and they are outside the normal range.

M

macca78

Thanks! Don't know about you, but since I've been on this lithium I've suffered more mental trauma than I ever had before diagnosis lol with the worry and being messed around by the psyc

razza

razza

I can totally agree about psychiatrists messing us about. Mine said one week she wouldn't treat me anymore, she wanted public system to take over and the next week she changed her mind and said she would continue seeing me like WTF.

I haven't had too many problems with the lithium apart from tremors that usually subside. And dry mouth. I only take a relatively small dose for depression (450 quilonum SR twice daily). Im not bipolar so I was a bit confused when I was first put on lithium but it is used to treat depression in its own and more commonly to augment antidepressants as a mood stabilizer.

I actually got worse after I was taken off the lithium, volatile moods and suicidal ideation plus both internal mental anguish and external traumatic experiences, whether it was because of or despite lack of lithium I don't know. But I might have experienced that anyway even if I'd been on lithium so who knows. My psychiatrist thinks lithium has been the most helpful thing for me in terms of stabilising my mood so about a month ago put me back on it.

Haven't noticed much in terms of my mood but the suicidal ideation is much less intense...

S

suzy

Just a thought, Ive been on lithium 3 yrs, no problems all those tests are done in a quick blood test. They should also test your heart and you get those things attached to you ecg I think its called?

I have no side effects, but I just thought I do get butterfly heart effects, its like I get a quick vibration in my chest and I have been told its due to stress and anxiety- it doesnt happen often at all but there was a week I had bad anxiety and it happened more often. Could this actually be linked to lithium use?

As far as the liver goes, as long as you are in normal range and drink plenty of fluids there is no need to worry :)

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Itis quite common for liver function tests to be done at the beginning of lithium therapy. It is sort of like a starting block. I have mine done fairly regularly because I am anxious about it.....but it has always been fine.

HH
x

M

Myheadhurts

Hi. I've been worried about my liver as well. My doctor has never ordered a test to check it and I'd like to make sure its okay because for a period of time I wasn't drinking hardly any water while I was taking Lithium. I've been taking it for at least ten years now.