• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Lithium and shaking hands

B

BlackBeauty

Hello,
Since I'm taking lithium, my hands are shaking heavily.
Is this normal? Is it only in the beginning or does it remain like this? Do you have/had the same experience with lithium?

Blacky

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hello,
Since I'm taking lithium, my hands are shaking heavily.
Is this normal? Is it only in the beginning or does it remain like this? Do you have/had the same experience with lithium?

Blacky
Hi Becky, I had shaking hands when I started on Lithium too. Lithium is a unique medication in that each person responds to a given dosage differently. For this reason it can take a few different tries to get the right dosage. When I was on too much Lithium at the beginning when I first started taking it I had shaky hands, slurred speech, drooling, and diarrhea. As my psychiatrist adjusted my dosage downward these side effects went away. I would tell your prescriber that you are having shaky hands as it is a very common side effect for Lithium. With a dosage adjustment he should be able to get the shaky hands to go away. These side effects can also indicate Lithium toxicity so it would be good to have it addressed sooner rather than later. I hope this is helpful. xo, j

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

Shaking hands and other side effects with Lithium can mean Lithium toxicity - ie you have too much lithium in your blood. Simple things like reducing the amount of caffine and drinking plenty of water can help. And alcohol is a major no no.

fazza

fazza

Please get your levels checked. The hot weather can cause dehydration which will increase the amount of lithium in your system.
Even if you do not feel dehydrated it's still possible that you are.

A

Another Maniac

I get tremors on lithium. It's a pretty common side effect. It's not as apparent now as it was when I first started lithium but there is a slight tremor now especially when I'm tired. As others have mentioned, I would get your lithium levels checked to see if you're suffering from lithium toxicity.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Bipolar Forum 1
B Bipolar Forum 1
F Bipolar Forum 7
P Bipolar Forum 32
J Bipolar Forum 8