• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Lithium and Risperidone

Wishbone

Wishbone

Well there you go. I've known plenty of people to have been on antidepressants who were not feeling depressed after a couple of weeks or so and then went back to their old selves, no problem. I've known some that say antidepressants send them a bit hyper. Then there are the ones like us who it not only sends into turmoil but can send us straight into hell. It's for this reason that I wish there would be so much more done at the initial stages when people present at their GP's with depression, rather than just handing out pills. They could, and do, literally kill people in doing that so carelessly.

C

Clearmind

I have been on Lithium and Risperidone together for bipolar psychosis but the combination did not help AT ALL with the intense depression I went in to. I think that’s what is so hard with Bipolar 1, you can’t take an anti depressant without it sending you into psychosis well at least for me. Eventually we switched to Lithium and Seroquel and that helped a lot!

R

Rhino187

Hello everyone,

I am currently on Lithium 800 mg and Risperidone 4 mg. I have been on Risperidone for the past 4 years for psychosis, but recently, about 5 months ago, my diagnosis I think changed to Bipolar. I have been on Lithium for the past 3 months and although my suicidal thoughts and feelings are gone, I still struggle with depression, very hard to cook, shower or exercise. I was on 1000mg of lithium but I was getting dizzines and unsteadiness so my doctor reduced to 800 mg. Do you think that Lithium might not just work in my case? Or the combination of high dose or risperidone and lithium is just not working? Any advice or experiences that you have had with these meds would be appreciated.
Risperidone is an atypical anti psychotic. Personally I have had success with it. If you are struggling with depression, you may need an anti depressant

U

Underdog21

I have been on Lithium and Risperidone together for bipolar psychosis but the combination did not help AT ALL with the intense depression I went in to. I think that’s what is so hard with Bipolar 1, you can’t take an anti depressant without it sending you into psychosis well at least for me. Eventually we switched to Lithium and Seroquel and that helped a lot!
Hi Clearmind,

I am pretty sure that I have Bipolar 1. I have been on seroquel at the begining of my illness when I was only experiencing psychosis, but seroquel made me sleep 12-16 hours a day ( I am not exaggerating) all I was doing was sleeping and eating.

C

Clearmind

Hi Clearmind,

I am pretty sure that I have Bipolar 1. I have been on seroquel at the begining of my illness when I was only experiencing psychosis, but seroquel made me sleep 12-16 hours a day ( I am not exaggerating) all I was doing was sleeping and eating.
Yea I understand. It can definitely have that effect. I worked with my Dr to get on the lowest dose and take it at night. I do feel like my energy level is low a lot but I’m working on that. Risperidone had a similar effect as well. I feel like most of the anti-psychotics are like that. Did you find something that worked better for you?

C

Clearmind

Risperidone is an atypical anti psychotic. Personally I have had success with it. If you are struggling with depression, you may need an anti depressant
Risperidone definitely worked with my mania and psychosis. Idk about the orignal poster but anti depressant tend to be a no go for Bipolar 1 and psychosis. I wish I could take them

U

Underdog21

Yea I understand. It can definitely have that effect. I worked with my Dr to get on the lowest dose and take it at night. I do feel like my energy level is low a lot but I’m working on that. Risperidone had a similar effect as well. I feel like most of the anti-psychotics are like that. Did you find something that worked better for you?
Hi Clearmind,

I've been on a low dose of RIsperidone for the past 4 years but recently they increased my dose because I was experiencing suicidal thoughts and agitation. At a low dose I noticed a slight sedation but I could still go to the gym just fine and have finished my masters while on 1 mg. I think at a higher dose it starts interfering with my life a little bit more, but I don't know since it might also be the illness acting up. My goal is to stay an lithium and reduce the risperidone to 1 or 2 mg.

C

Clearmind

Hi Clearmind,

I've been on a low dose of RIsperidone for the past 4 years but recently they increased my dose because I was experiencing suicidal thoughts and agitation. At a low dose I noticed a slight sedation but I could still go to the gym just fine and have finished my masters while on 1 mg. I think at a higher dose it starts interfering with my life a little bit more, but I don't know since it might also be the illness acting up. My goal is to stay an lithium and reduce the risperidone to 1 or 2 mg.
Yes, I agree about the higher dose. I was able to get down to 1mg and was functioning fine but I still felt a little disconnected and low. That sounds like a good plan. I hope you are able to make that transition easily and hopefully it won’t take too long! It’s always tough when a change happens and finding the right dosage. I was nervous to make the switch to Seroquel but it really helped with the depression once I got past the initial side effects from switching