• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Lithium and Risperidone

U

Underdog21

Hello everyone,

I am currently on Lithium 800 mg and Risperidone 4 mg. I have been on Risperidone for the past 4 years for psychosis, but recently, about 5 months ago, my diagnosis I think changed to Bipolar. I have been on Lithium for the past 3 months and although my suicidal thoughts and feelings are gone, I still struggle with depression, very hard to cook, shower or exercise. I was on 1000mg of lithium but I was getting dizzines and unsteadiness so my doctor reduced to 800 mg. Do you think that Lithium might not just work in my case? Or the combination of high dose or risperidone and lithium is just not working? Any advice or experiences that you have had with these meds would be appreciated.

Wish4TheNight

Wish4TheNight

Hi, welcome!
Lithium doesn't work for everyone and for as far as I know it's not the best med of choice for depression. For me it worked like a charm for depression but for other people it has more of an antimanic effect. I'm not sure about risperidone when it comes to antidepressant effect but my guess is it's not the strongest.
Lamotrigine would be a good next option for bipolar depression.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I have been on Risperidone for the past 4 years for psychosis, but recently, about 5 months ago, my diagnosis I think changed to Bipolar. I have been on Lithium for the past 3 months and although my suicidal thoughts and feelings are gone, I still struggle with depression
Hi. You said that you 'think' it was changed to Bipolar, do you know or have you assumed it is Bipolar because of the Lithium?

I haven't been on them both at the same time, and I only take Risperidone as PRN anyway, but I didn't feel great with Lithium and ended up switching to Depakote instead. The consensus seems to be that Lithium is used where it can be but otherwise you go the Lamotrigine route for more depressive symptoms and the Depakote route for symptoms towards the other end and/or mixed affect.

U

Underdog21

Hi. You said that you 'think' it was changed to Bipolar, do you know or have you assumed it is Bipolar because of the Lithium?

I haven't been on them both at the same time, and I only take Risperidone as PRN anyway, but I didn't feel great with Lithium and ended up switching to Depakote instead. The consensus seems to be that Lithium is used where it can be but otherwise you go the Lamotrigine route for more depressive symptoms and the Depakote route for symptoms towards the other end and/or mixed affect.
Hi Wishbone,

I,m not sure whether the word bipolar came out of his mouth , I was told I don't just suffer from psychosis and was handed out a sheet about bipolar. I wasn't told what type of Bipolar I have. I was also offered valproate as last alternative if lithium isn't working. Thank you for your reply, I will ask the psychiatrist about lamotrigine and see what bipolar I have (if I have it).

U

Underdog21

Hi, welcome!
Lithium doesn't work for everyone and for as far as I know it's not the best med of choice for depression. For me it worked like a charm for depression but for other people it has more of an antimanic effect. I'm not sure about risperidone when it comes to antidepressant effect but my guess is it's not the strongest.
Lamotrigine would be a good next option for bipolar depression.
Hi Wish4TheNight,

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't told whether I have bipolar depression, its worth asking my psychiatrist. He mentioned something about mania and coming down. I was offered valproate as a second choice.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Yeah, I'd definitely start by asking what diagnosis they have given you and then let them know that you can't get the depression to shift and they should offer up some suggestions from there.

C

celticlass

Gosh. I was on Lithium but they stopped it as I was still drinking, and not safe to combine. Prior to that I had a trial of Depakote but unfortunately I have an allergic response to it. That was when the Lithium was commenced. It seems as if I have mixed episodes. Presently I am on Venlafaxine and Pregablin, with suggestion of Lamotrigine being added into mix. Just hate taking these concoctions but I yearn for peace, happiness and stability at this point in my life.1

M

Mob

It seemed to work well for me. Definitely helps with racing thoughts and focusing. May not be for everyone though.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Presently I am on Venlafaxine and Pregablin, with suggestion of Lamotrigine being added into mix. Just hate taking these concoctions but I yearn for peace, happiness and stability at this point in my life.
Venlafaxine is, in my own opinion only, one of the riskiest drugs to put anywhere near Bipolar. It was half-wit medical professionals that damn near drove me over the edge with that stuff. If you weren't mixed before that drug, but are now, that'd be where I would be looking to lay the blame. And if anxiety has become more of a problem since that too (I assume you have a problem with this given the Pregabalin) then again...Venlafaxine!

I have been on Risperidone for the past 4 years for psychosis
I meant to ask: are you on Risperidone due to any irritability or anger problems associated with your psychosis at all?

Wish4TheNight

Wish4TheNight

If you weren't mixed before that drug, but are now, that'd be where I would be looking to lay the blame
Sorry for barging in here but I really need to comment on this.
Do you think antidepressants can cause bipolar in someone who wasn't before? For me, it all got so much worse after I started with my first AD. Before that I had depression and sometimes episodes of insomnia and anxiety but not nearly as frequent and bad as they were after all the ADs. Every AD I've been on drove me crazy, most of them almost immediately, one (mirtazapine) took it's sweet time with me (two years) before it caused my first psychotic break.
I've always thought the ADs damaged me beyond repair.

U

Underdog21

Venlafaxine is, in my own opinion only, one of the riskiest drugs to put anywhere near Bipolar. It was half-wit medical professionals that damn near drove me over the edge with that stuff. If you weren't mixed before that drug, but are now, that'd be where I would be looking to lay the blame. And if anxiety has become more of a problem since that too (I assume you have a problem with this given the Pregabalin) then again...Venlafaxine!

I meant to ask: are you on Risperidone due to any irritability or anger problems associated with your psychosis at all?
no, Risperidone is purely to prevent psychosis. I haven't had any irritability or anger.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Do you think antidepressants can cause bipolar in someone who wasn't before? For me, it all got so much worse after I started with my first AD.
I'd lean more towards saying it maybe brought it to the fore rather than saying it caused it. Bipolar was likely already a part of you and these things just messed up any semblance of a balance. That's a layman's view on a lived experience anyway, I don't know what the pro's would say. But then again, nobody knows how these things develop, it could just be down to time and that they would have appeared, regardless.

Wish4TheNight

Wish4TheNight

My psychiatrist said: "You wouldn't have responded with mania and psychosis to antidepressants if you didn't have bipolar disorder". Maybe she was right.