• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

lithium and over active thyroid

I

iamfunky

Ive been on lithium for 12 years and have just been diagnosed with an over active thyroid. Has anyone else got this?

C

Christobel

I have been on Lithium for five years. I remember when I was about a year in to the therapy my blood results came back with borderline overactive thyroid. I was put on Levothyroxine and told to drink a lot more water. I now drink 2.5 litres daily. Hope this helps.

I

iamfunky

Im really fucked off, why do all the shit things happen to me? It could be worse yes, but ive had a gutful of the crap life has to deal me. Its not fucking fair.

Passionflower

Passionflower

When I was on lithium they kept worrying about it causing underactive thyroid rather than overactive. It did cause it to go underactive after awhile so now I am on levothyroxine.

I

iamfunky

I had always had my bloods checked for thyroid and guess I was lucky so far, its more fucking meds for life though. Greater risk of heart disease.

Thanks for replying.

Passionflower

Passionflower

I know what you mean as I hate being schizophrenic and having to take these damaging meds.

C

Christobel

Hiya, thanks! Are you on the thyroid meds for life?
I hope my psychiatrist will be discharging me at the end of this year (I've got schizoaffective disorder) and then I think it will be a good time to ask her to review all my medication. I hope I won't be on it for life.

B

blueorange

I hate being bipolar.
Who else not.

What your pdoc says about this? Maybe he'll change the drug. There are other mood stabilizers, try not to worry. For example I'm on Tegretol and so far so good.

B

blueorange

Me.
It was hard at first but now its a blast.
I'm happy for you then:) But I prefer not to have bipolar disorder. Major depression is not fun. Drugs are also not fun.

T

tokyo jo

I'm happy for you then:) But I prefer not to have bipolar disorder. Major depression is not fun. Drugs are also not fun.
I agree blueorange.
Have you mentioned this to your psychiatrist and if so were they able to offer an alternative?

B

blueorange

I agree blueorange.
Have you mentioned this to your psychiatrist and if so were they able to offer an alternative?
I'm fine in these days. But I had very difficult days, not days, years. Now, it's ok. But I still have this disorder you know:)and still don't like it.