• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Lifetime antipsychotic medication and cognitive performance in schizophrenia at age 43 years in a general population birth cohort

F

firemonkee57

Lifetime antipsychotic medication and cognitive performance in schizophrenia at age 43 years in a general population birth cohort

Lifetime antipsychotic medication and cognitive performance in schizophrenia at age 43 years in a general population birth cohort.

Psychiatry Res. 2016 Nov 12;247:130-138

Authors: Husa AP, Moilanen J, Murray GK, Marttila R, Haapea M, Rannikko I, Barnett JH, Jones PB, Isohanni M, Remes AM, Koponen H, Miettunen J, Jääskeläinen E

Abstract
This naturalistic study analysed the association between cumulative lifetime antipsychotic dose and cognition in schizophrenia after an average of 16.5 years of illness. Sixty participants with schizophrenia and 191 controls from the Northern Finland Birth Cohort 1966 were assessed at age 43 years with a neurocognitive test battery. Cumulative lifetime antipsychotic dose-years were collected from medical records and interviews. The association between antipsychotic dose-years and a cognitive composite score based on principal component analysis was analysed using linear regression. Higher lifetime antipsychotic dose-years were significantly associated with poorer cognitive composite score, when adjusted for gender, onset age and lifetime hospital treatment days. The effects of typical and atypical antipsychotics did not differ. This is the first report of an association between cumulative lifetime antipsychotic dose and global cognition in midlife schizophrenia. Based on these data, higher lifetime antipsychotic dose-years may be associated with poorer cognitive performance at age 43 years. Potential biases related to the naturalistic design may partly explain the results; nonetheless, it is possible that large antipsychotic doses harm cognition in schizophrenia in the long-term.

Lifetime antipsychotic medication and cognitive performance in schizophrenia at age 43 years in a general population birth cohort. - PubMed - NCBI

T

Twokiwisandabanana

Oh Lordy I've holes in my head holes! :mad:
Swiss cheese....
It's not a breeze

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
cpuusage Lifetime antipsychotic medication and cognitive performance in schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 1
F The effect of lifetime adversities on resistance to antipsychotic treatment in schizophrenia patients Schizophrenia Forum 3
F Rethinking lifetime treatment of schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 6
H I love my antipsychotic...anyone else happy with their a p? Schizophrenia Forum 3
Loopyish 🤗not to sure what I got but on antipsychotic medication 💊 Schizophrenia Forum 2
BEASTMODEWARRIOR Can you take your antipsychotic meds with other vitamins and supplements at the same time. Schizophrenia Forum 4
S Antipsychotic Medication Side Effects Schizophrenia Forum 18
W Question for those who were on antipsychotic Schizophrenia Forum 3
lavenderfire The Best Med: What Is The Best Antipsychotic For Schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Forum 7
M Tapered my antipsychotic as per doctor's orders; feeling great! Schizophrenia Forum 1
lifecangetbetter how much has your life been improved since you've went on an antipsychotic? Schizophrenia Forum 17
L Quick update: just lowered my antipsychotic! Schizophrenia Forum 7
L Antipsychotic and loss of conversation skills? Schizophrenia Forum 6
L Antipsychotic? Schizophrenia Forum 4
2 Dual antipsychotic treatment Schizophrenia Forum 23
H Stimulant and antipsychotic medication experiences? Schizophrenia Forum 9
Ivory_NK Horrible Antipsychotic Dilemma Schizophrenia Forum 3
A antipsychotic that stimulates? Schizophrenia Forum 3
C Had to up my dose of antipsychotic medication Schizophrenia Forum 3
C Coming off antipsychotic medication Schizophrenia Forum 4
F A 20-Year Multi-Followup Longitudinal Study Assessing Whether Antipsychotic Medications Contribute to Work Functioning in Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 7
F Stability and development of psychotic symptoms and the use of antipsychotic medication - long-term follow-up. Schizophrenia Forum 7
N If I went to prison would I still be forced to take Antipsychotic medication. Schizophrenia Forum 55
cpuusage Antipsychotic Medication Study Focuses on Patient Experiences Schizophrenia Forum 3
N Can antipsychotic medicine be the cause of psychosis? Schizophrenia Forum 4
LORD BURT Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug Schizophrenia Forum 28
F Symptoms, functioning and coping strategies in individuals with schizophrenia spectrum disorders who do not take antipsychotic medication: a comparati Schizophrenia Forum 2
F Long-term Antipsychotic Treatment: Effective and Often Necessary, with Caveats Schizophrenia Forum 49
S Antipsychotic drugs are really getting me down Schizophrenia Forum 1
cpuusage Antipsychotic Maintenance Treatment: Time to Rethink? Schizophrenia Forum 1
O Would having had psychosis in the past, and still taking an antipsychotic prevent me from getting a London Private Hire Driver License? Schizophrenia Forum 2
F Treatment resistant or resistant to treatment? Antipsychotic plasma levels in patients with poorly controlled psychotic symptoms. Schizophrenia Forum 1
F A Multimodal Analysis of Antipsychotic Effects on Brain Structure and Function in First-Episode Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 1
P Bogus diagnosis? Long term use of antipsychotic drug to induce psychosis? Schizophrenia Forum 12
cpuusage New Reports Question Long-Term Antipsychotic Use, Cite Need for Personalized Services Schizophrenia Forum 384
P Constipation induced antipsychotic Schizophrenia Forum 12
F Does treatment of schizophrenia with antipsychotic medications eliminate or reduce psychosis? A 20-year multi-follow-up study Schizophrenia Forum 2
O A psychiatrist thinks some patients are better off without antipsychotic drugs Schizophrenia Forum 8
O Antipsychotic drug use is making me stupid Schizophrenia Forum 4
F Study: Use of antipsychotic drugs improves life expectancy for individuals with schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 2
O 'Antipsychotic drugs made me want to kill myself' Schizophrenia Forum 7
R Medication Schizophrenia Forum 2
S Can the progression of schizophrenia be slowed down or delayed with treatment/medication? I need treatment right now. I also have anhedonia. Schizophrenia Forum 8
I Psychotic on so much medication. How is that possible? Schizophrenia Forum 28
BEASTMODEWARRIOR i realize there is no perfect medication out there no perfect psychiatrist at all. Schizophrenia Forum 12
T No easy way off medication Schizophrenia Forum 7
K medication - paliperidone or zupentixol? Schizophrenia Forum 2
LORD BURT Alcohol and medication. Schizophrenia Forum 6
Bek Medication Schizophrenia Forum 36
S Medication Possibilities Schizophrenia Forum 8