• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Life without my meds (advice please)

S

sparks_001

Hi,

I have been slowly tapering off my Anti-Depressants (Lexapro 5mg) after 11 years. I’m hoping to be med free in a couple of weeks.

I managed to do this about 6 years ago, however within a couple of months I was starting to feel low and anxious again.

I attribute this relapse to my lack of planning for life without meds. I gradually seemed to drift back into old habits of negative thinking and self-loathing, with no strategy or technique to combat these behaviours. Within the year I was back on meds.

The internet is full of boiler plate recommendations for maintaining good mental health, good diet, exercise, relaxation techniques, which for the most part I adhere to, but I’m looking from advice from those with similar experience, what worked for you? what didn’t?

11 years ago this medication saved my life and I’m truly grateful for that, however, I feel I should try again to go “clean”.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

I too stopped medication after 8 years. I wasn't able to focus anymore after a few months. So I continued my medication without any anxiety medication. This helped a lot. And i too want to be med free. Have you ever tried a holistic approach. It worked well on anxiety for me.

S

sparks_001

I too stopped medication after 8 years. I wasn't able to focus anymore after a few months. So I continued my medication without any anxiety medication. This helped a lot. And i too want to be med free. Have you ever tried a holistic approach. It worked well on anxiety for me.
Thanks, I'll investigate this