• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Life Sentence For Swearing

S

supergreysmoke

BBC News - Swearing man 'risks life in prison' after 176 convictions

Swearing man 'risks life in prison' after 176 convictions

A man with 176 convictions for repeated foul-mouthed outbursts risks spending the rest of his life in prison.

George Lancelot, 61, was jailed for 20 months on Thursday at Exeter Crown Court for breaching an anti-social behaviour order (ASBO) banning him from swearing and drinking in public.

His latest offence was committed hours after he was released from prison.

As Lancelot was led from the dock on Thursday he shouted: "I'd get less for burglary." He then swore at the court.

Judge Phillip Wassall told Lancelot, of Higher Warberry Road, Torquay: "I am told there is unlikely to be any psychiatric disposition to help you.

"Unless you deal with this you could spend the rest of your life in prison."

Kevin Hopper, defending, said the court should order mental health treatment.

"He (Lancelot) cannot comply with the ASBO because he is mentally ill," said Mr Hopper.

"He faces a life term but I don't know what to suggest."

Andrew Neilson, of the Howard League for Penal Reform, said: "We should not be filling our jails with people who have mental health needs, let alone someone who appears to pose no actual threat to the public."

(continued, don't swear when in devon....)

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i have never heard of swearing being part of a mental illness.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nope I just swear a lot lol and I was playing on the irony of the thread.

S

supergreysmoke

Swear one time and they let it pass. Swear 175 times and they also let it pass. Do not swear 176 times.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hmm.. I can see swearing being an issue if children are around, but what's the issue otherwise?
Freedom of speech - what a load of shit! :LOL:

S

supergreysmoke

Hmm.. I can see swearing being an issue if children are around, but what's the issue otherwise?
Freedom of speech - what a load of shit! :LOL:
Posh folks don't like no swear words around them. Lowers the tone.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

There's a world of difference between casual, non-threatening swearing and using swearing deliberately to offend or intimidate. My neighbour used to swear at me for hours on end in the middle of the night and I had no qualms about complaining about him to the police. If someone said 'F*** you!' to me on the street without any provocation I would give them a jolly good slap. If teenagers on the bus swear loudly and repeatedly I ask them to stop.

In the right context I don't have a problem with it at all and I do it all the time but only in my own home - never in public.

I don't know what the answer is with this man. Prison does seem way over the top but on the other hand if he is harrassing people with his swearing and they are getting upset I don't see why he should be allowed to just carry on.

S

supergreysmoke

This is what happens when you abolish Gin Lane. Loud and vexatious people will always be around. Simply because they don't swear won't make them less annoying. Imagine the toll on other prisoners?

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I couldn't support the man being forced to accept mental health treatment and it would be ineffective if he himself didn't want it. His problem might largely be alcohol and if he doesn't want help with that then there is nothing that can be done. I'd like to think that some form of support/medical help could be offered as an alternative to prison but services like that are very thin on the ground and have long waiting lists and they are very unwilling to take on anybody who has no intention of trying. I don't think there is a solution. It's hard to judge how intolerable this man's behaviour may have been since we aren't given any specific details in the article. I imagine it must have been quite extreme to warrant all the complaints and court appearances.

S

supergreysmoke

Surely a minor operation on his vocal tract to reduce volume would be better and cheaper? They don't have to put him on mute but some sort of operation, would be the humane albeit unusual alternative?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
what about brain surgery on the speech centres of the brain, we've gone a long way since lobotomys

S

supergreysmoke

what about brain surgery on the speech centres of the brain, we've gone a long way since lobotomys
Yeah, they could give it a go. Seems easier to do something with the vocal tract but maybe they've got a better way these days they could try?