• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

life isn't fair...and full of disappointment...but it's not all bad.

H

haystack

I used to have a chip on my shoulder because of getting sz. I lost a career in architecture that I worked myself through college for and I felt robbed. Turned out it finally gave me a good reason to write a book about it. win win. I believe there is hope no matter how bleak things get. There is always tomorrow.

M

Misssad1111

@haystack it’s nice to hear this. I’m personally having a hard time accepting my diagnosis. At 30 I realized I’m no psychic, I’m just crazy

D

danmarkok89

@haystack It's true it's probably not what we all would have wanted for ourselves if asked before diagnosis and getting ill etc, yet it's made my life so much more than it probably would have been had it not have happened. Plus I bet most people would be jealous of my ability to have two naps a day and watch netflix almost whenever I want :p

@Misssad1111 it's only over if you give up all hope of having a life for yourself, maybe this is a chance to turn a new page on life and try out more things that matter to you rather than chasing careers and all the usual stuff most people get caught up in? I take it you're on ESA and PIP? in some ways it's like a dream come true, getting to lounge about and do what you want within reason all day every day. Maybe I'm looking at it too positively but sometimes you got to look for the positives...

M

Mister Vertigo

@Misssad1111 Is that what you initially thought Misssad, that you might be psychic? That is interesting .

D

danmarkok89

@Misssad1111 that is so amazing that you can actually have a career and schizophrenia! Not many can do that, not least because schizophrenia tends to be so possessive and have such a hold over people suffering from it. You're doing really well, I'm impressed!

D

danmarkok89

@Misssad1111 no worries! It's easy to beat yourself up (metaphorically speaking) and be hard on yourself and lot of people struggle to give themselves credit for their achievements but that doesn't mean people aren't doing better than they think!

Don't compare yourself to who someone else is today but compare yourself to who you were yesterday