• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Life Guidance

Move to a new country?

• Thailand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Japan

• Phillipines

• Total voters
T

therodfather

Hello everyone.

I need some life guidance.

I'm 23, I am working on my degree. I teach English in China. I keep busy most of the time. However, I feel like I'm now just going through the works of life..

I have a retirement and savings plan in place. I continue to save, and occasionally take a trip. However, I'm not sure what to do now.

Everyone I know is getting married, having kids, or drunk and miserable. I'm just wondering what I should do, or what would be good for me to do at this age. I like learning from other people, I've always raised myself because my father passed away a long time ago. All the life changing choices I've made have been on my own from a very early age so I never really got to have a normal childhood.

I've been living on my own since 18. I'm just not sure what my options are right now for continuing life. Should I just continue this English teaching? Should I try something else? I have a girlfriend here in China that I've been dating over a year. We are pretty serious. Not sure where to go at this point, or what I should be working towards..

chazxxx

chazxxx

Its kinda hard to advise you on what you should do with your life. Its your life, only you can decide what to do with it. I know it makes things confussing to see what other people have in their lives and thinking you don't want that or not sure of what you do want. But i think thats just a matter of soul searching im afraid.

I remember reading something about finding a purpose in life. It was something like this;
1. write a list of things that make you happy.
2. What things are important to you? What is an issue that you stand for? What causes would you support if there was no fear of judgement from anyone else?
3. Write a list of all the things you would like to do if there were no limitations in life ie if you won the lottery and money wasn't an issue (meaning what would you want to do/could you do with your time after the inital paying things off, helping friends, buying a mansion, going on holiday etc. - what would you do after that).
Once you've boiled life down to those things. What you truely want, work out which ones are achievable and work towards those.

It is horrible being in that funk of not knowing what to do or what to work towards so you do have my empathy on this. Sometimes i wish someone could just tell me what it is i should do and then I'd just do that. But unfortunately it doesn't work like that. You just have to put side anyone elses thoughts and feelings etc and figure out what *you* want.

Good luck.

- just wanted to add my appologies if you don't get many more replies. We have a spammer on the forum atm. Which is clogging up the new topics. But im sure you'll get more replies once this is delt with.

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

If you follow your natural impulses, settle down and have a family you can't go very far wrong I think. The natural path has much to recommend it, and anything more philosophical or about ideals can wait until later in life.

The other thing I would say is, keep in touch with the things that make you happy. Wether they are hobbies or life goals or things like learning, find time for them alongside your work and develop them. Often they become more meaningful as you get older.

And try and develop your intuition. Your intuition and wisdom can guide you in these things much better than other people can, once you have some insight.

Best of luck! :)