• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Lies for employment purposes

lucid scream

lucid scream

I find its absolutely necessary to lie about my illness and illness related episodes for the purpose of securing employment. There are small gaps of a month or 2 throughout my work history. There are a few large gaps of about a year each that I did not work due to severe depression, addiction, anxiety and medication issues. If I say on an application what was going on, or list illness, I may as well have not taken the time to apply at all. I find myself saying I was self employed, doing odd jobs and scrapping metal and such, as this looks much better and is not usually questioned. It is also partially true, I suppose. But mostly we got by by recieving welfare, or through the generosity of family.
Anyone else find this to be a problem? Maybe not a problem, as I feel absolutely no guilt, as I will certainly lie through my teeth if its that or starve. But I find it is a necessary evil.

D

Dollit

I think it's easier for women to explain gaps on their CV than it is for men. If you put on that you'd worked for such and such company and you didn't it's a technical fraud (in UK) but fudging the issue by telling a few hazy lies - I'd rather someone could prove their honesty than their work record when I employed people. And I have written references for people and will do again if necessary - and you don't even need to lie on those. Does that make me dishonest or just wanting to help someone I think deserves a break?

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
i was told by HR that you only need to put relevant info on an application form. she said no one is over qualified if they omit to put down higher achievements for a lesser job. i am not sure how this works in practise - i just put studying to cover all my absences - as colleges rarely keep a track of all the courses and i don't think employers would even check

D

Dollit

It's not fraudulent to under declare qualifications but it is to over declare them. But as I said it's easier for women to explain away gaps - we're expected almost to take time out. We never complain about that area of discrimination when it comes to employment. ;)

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
When I was employed as a manager in the hotel business,an applicant arrived for an interview,He was fully qualified to be offered the job and had a good positive attitude.
I noticed on his application form that he was epileptic and took medication for this.

I approached the general manager about starting the man that weekend but he told me we could'nt because of insurance problems,ie if he was to get injured or injure someone else through a seizure or similar.

I was surprised and shocked by the senior managements approach to all of this.

The irony is that if the applicant had'nt been honest
,He would have got the job !

D

Dollit

And it's discrimination which is just a posh word for bullying.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
aye, yakuza, my point exactly.

Years later,it's me that has had to be 'wise' about what I've admitted on application forms in order to get work.

It's a painful operation as you find you are always looking over your shoulder,hoping that you can hide your symptoms and get away with time off.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
I've often wondered when/if i'm able to work again , what i'd put on the application :unsure:

D

Dollit

It's a lot easier for women with CV's and I'd always give you some ideas for phrasing things. :)

Q

Quinonostante

Founding Member
It's a lot easier for women with CV's and I'd always give you some ideas for phrasing things. :)

I agree, women do get an easier time! However, if you do declare your illness there is always an underlying feeling that someone is wating for you to 'crack up' so they can justify why it really isn't a good idea to employ people with a mental health diagnosis!

Guys have a really raw deal...gaps in employment are seriously scrutinised, which is discriminatory in itself.