• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Letting go of anxiety

C

Caro5

Bit of a brain dump. I am really working hard to let go of my anxiety. It's plagued me for most of my life. I've struggled with what I realise was/ is codependency. I am on my own now. Been through depression, panic attacks etc. but it seems to be so hard to let go of anxiety and the depression that goes with it. Is it because I am so scared that the anxiety will leave a hole that will be replaced by something worse or is it that I just don't believe I can be anxiety free and therefore won't or can't let it happen? The thought of continuing this way for the rest of my life is so horrible. At the moment I am not feeling great physically which lets the whole anxiety demon really grow. How will I manage when I am even older and not able to do stuff physically. I know I don't always feel as bad as I do now but the fear is always there. I work, have friends and look like a functioning person but every morning and at the moment all day I am battling and battling to get through.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Caro

Just wanted to say I understand what you feel, I don't have any answers. Depression is the worse thing for me. I don't function well now, also,have physical problems, and worry how on earth I will cope when I am older.

I think with a lot of mental health difficulties there is this fear and the constant battle to somehow carry on. Fear is the first feeling when I wake up!

I try to keep in mind that things do change all the time. There is a chance things will get better.

Have you found anything that helps at least partly?

RichieSmiles

RichieSmiles

Hi Caro,

I completely sympathise with you and what you're going through... HOWEVER! It doesn't have to be that way.

Instead of contemplating what may fill that 'void' once you've rid yourself of that awful feeling of fear; COMMIT yourself to CHOOSING what will replace it. It's like giving up smoking... once you take away the cigarette and the fixation you have about having that cigarette in your mouth - you HAVE to find that replacement to get you through. Pen, toothpick etc.

It's the same principle.

Focus on pushing through that initial barrier of fear and see clearly what you WILL replace it with. The more visual you are, the better. For me, and it may sound elementary, I used to wake up (normally when the heart racing and thoughts of fear began) and clear my mind or OBSTRUCT my thoughts with a song I love. A song that immediately made me happy and reworked how I viewed the day ahead.

It MAY sound stupid or ineffective, but, I promise you, it's worth a try. Think of something that makes you happy without fail and either visualise it or do that action. The more you train your mind to think this way, the less and less your thoughts of fear will occur.

I hope this helps and if you need any advice, send me a PM.

Richie

C

Caro5

No it doesn't sound stupid. The biggest problem will be thinking of something that makes me happy without fail. That sounds rather pathetic but it's one of my biggest issues with all mindfulness type of techniques. Working on it but finding it very hard.

RichieSmiles

RichieSmiles

Nothing is ever pathetic if you're trying to better yourself.

Even if it takes you months to get better - isn't that a huge improvement compared to a lifetime of experiencing what you are every morning? I think that's a goal to aim for.

You need to remind yourself exactly what is it that makes you happy every morning - put something visual up on your fridge, your wall, your desktop... wherever YOU feel it will catch your eye.