Let Me Introduce Myself

I

iris

Hi, I'm Iris, Asian, Male 31 years old and I hear voices. I would like to get involved with organizations and events but it seems that there is no such things here where I'm located. Maybe you can help me. I'm from the Philippines, and I hear voices for about 4 or 5 years now. It tells me a lot of things, mostly foolishness, so I don't take them seriously, but they are so irritating and I've been having trouble sleeping. I have a job and it affects it because I can't sleep well. I lost jobs before because of this illness. I also got into drinking because of this. What triggered this is that I got hooked into drugs years ago, and my psychiatrist told me that the dofamine level in my brain went up and thats the cause of the voices, but I've been totally off drugs for a year now and the voices remain. I took medications for the dofamine level to decrease but it seemed that it has no effect. I'm still scared of the voices (not so much as before though) because I thought they were real. I know now that they're not but I still afraid sometimes. Please give advices and tips on how to deal with the voices, or how to make them go away. It greatly affects my life and its tiring, depressing and scary. I feel like I can't do anything right as long as I have them.

R

RainbowElf

Hello, so sorry to hear that you have to go through this.

I guess there is no easy way in saying that the voices may never go away. Sometimes it is a case of just learning to live peacefully, side by side.
Have you ever tried to turn them into a positive voice? Can take a lot of time and effort, but can be worthwhile from what I have heard.

Can not think, of anything else to say. Sorry.

Please take care of yourself.

Elf ...

P

Pukeko

There are heaps of coping strategies, short term and long term on the Intervoiceonline website. Go there and read the info.

www.intervoiceonline.org

I agree with elf, look and try and see what you have in common with the voices. Often they may be the same as someone in your life, and by looking at them more closely and recognising them, you may find what issue they are presenting you with.

Look and see what you have in common. Sometimes the voices blow up some fear you have and exploit it to the max. If you can work out what fear it is, and deal with it, the voice disappears. (works for me) E.g tells you your husband is going to leave you, etc etc.
When you look at it, realise you have been feeling neglected as he has been busy at work.
Acknowledge the feeling. Action: arrange time together with husband.
Eliminate fear: realise that if husband is going to leave he will anyway. Life goes on.

That is a basic example. But As Marius Romme reckons, even negative voices can have a positive purpose. When my voices were at their worst- It took me a while, but I started to notice that if I had any bad./sad feeling, or fear , they would take it, blow it up, perhaps present it in a different way. But when I looked at the emotion- the core emotion they were evoking in me, I recognised the emotion was present in me already.

It took me a while to work through it all, but only have positive voices these days. Only a few bad ones.

Every time , I identify the fear/ emotion within myself and deal with it.
Then rather than fighting with the voice. I look for their good qualities. I might say something to them like. Hey dont be so grumpy. I am sure you used to be nice once. I am sure you have some lovely qualities. I may even imagine them as a child to help this process. You have to get the loving feeling going though( helps to think of something or someone you do love first) You cant just say it, you have to feel it.

I also started leaving a small offering of food out at night for "my helpful spiritual guides and ancestors. Always helps to gather as much assistance as one can, cover all bases. Emotional and spiritual. AS that is what those in my culture- Maori used to do.