• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

let down by nhs and don't know where to turn

M

markems12

Good evening all, this is my first time on a forum so I apologise if this is posted in the wrong area. So basically I'm a 34 year old male and for as long as I can remember iv been extremely unhappy, iv never been to a doctors before but its severe. I suffer with depression, severe social anxiety, suicidal thoughts. I have spent my life without friends and avoiding social events. although iv had partners its always failed because of the way I behave. Iv always self harmed and kept it very secret but in April this year I overdosed after consuming a large amount of alcohol and injured myself several times pretty severely and then I passed out, waking up with an ambulance crew around me, I got took to the hospital around 9pm and they attended to my wounds sat me down with a mental health consultant who said he was referring me to my gp for urgent help. well its now October and not heard a thing, I moved back in with my parents and haven't been out of the house apart from to work. nothing seems to be getting better and I just feel extremely let down by the NHS, I know they must be very overwhelmed but there isn't a minute of the day goes by where I don't think suicidal thoughts and its getting too much for me now.the problem is I do not have a single friend or anyone to talk to so I can take my mind off things its just me and my thoughts all the time. I don't know what steps to take next because I just feel like giving up as I'm wasting my time carrying on living for no reason.

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
Hello, have you been in touch with your GP to ask if they had the referral? In my experience letters get put on your file by secretaries but often not read until you yourself make an appointment.
m

M

markems12

No I haven't, I have not been to the doctors since I was about 15 so wouldn't even know where to start, I find it so hard to talk like I'm going to be judged or put down, I don't even talk to my parents about stuff like this.

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
I think you should make an appointment to see what the referral letter said. At the moment most appointments are done on the phone
m

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm sorry you're feeling so low, I hope things improve for you soon. It may help to have a look at these two pages on the forum: Suicidal Crisis and Mental Health Forum - Getting Help about what to do if you're feeling suicidal, or if you need emergency help. I hope you can use the forum for support during this difficult time.

If you need to speak to someone over the phone the Samaritans can be called on 116 123 day or night or e-mailed at [email protected].

Please take good care of yourself.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

i think you should write to your local MP if the NHS are not giving you the support you deserve x
it worked for me many years ago and now i have been under cmht for over 20 years x
please let us know how you get on x Lu x

M

markems12

Thank you so much for all the advice I have never asked for help or wanted to show that I'm struggling but it really has become too much for me now x

M

Mistral

If it is 19 years since you have seen a GP then you probably do not know who your GP is. Also the hospital probably does not know who your GP is either and the referral letter has just got stuck in the system. The NHS today is not geared for people like you. I mean people who never go to the doctor and never create a fuss.

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Hi Markems12,

I've provided a link that might help you, highlighted in blue...particularly the details for

Supporting Minds
supporting-minds-logoSupporting Minds Blackpool IAPT is a free, NHS evidence-based talking therapy service for people 16 years old and over, who are feeling anxious and/or who have low mood. They provide a range of evidenced based treatment programmes including one-to-one therapy and group work for people living in the Blackpool area experiencing these problems.
Call: 01253 955700
Monday-Friday between the hours of 9-5pm

Blackpool Primary / Intermediate Mental Health Team
The Blackpool Primary / Intermediate Mental Health Team provide assessment, signposting and treatment for adults with mild to moderate health problems, in partnership with Blackpool Council and other agencies.
Call: 01253 951225
Monday-Friday between the hours of 9-5pm

Most doctors in the UK are still not offering face-to-face consultations in the first instance because of Covid. I have found this extremely helpful because I find a ten minute slot sitting in front of a doctor quite daunting. My advice would be to phone your doctor's surgery and ask the receptionist for their email address and book a phone consultation. Write down how you are feeling concisely in the email and then ask your doctor to refer to it when they call you as a working document.

I've linked you to the NHS Mood Assessment below. It only takes a few minutes. Your scores and responses are helpful for your doctor to gauge just how low you are and decide on the best course of treatment.

Keep talking to us here. There is support and friendship on this forum and you'll always be heard. Sometimes, it really helps to write down how you feel.

Sending you lots of love xxx

M

markems12

I'm finding this really overwhelming the support I have got from here so quickly, I am so grateful for Al the advice and support already 😊 tha k you all so much x

jajingna

jajingna

Asking for professional medical help is the right way to go. It starts with a phone call. It's not weakness, in fact you must be strong to live with depression because it is really hard. When you get a little better you will be glad you got help. In fact I'm considering it too, because lately I have been depressed also. It's really common, that's why there are many posts about it on here. I was good for most of the summer but now with winter approaching I've taken a slide of sorts.

Sorry to make this about me, but maybe it's a small comfort to know people understand this mood, or know what it feels like to be gloomy. If I don't feel better soon I might need to go back on meds. Probably should have stayed on those.

M

markems12

The hardest thing is that I feel like I just don't want the help and just want it over with. I can't even find the motivation to try and do anything, another weekend is here and ill just be sat in my room on my laptop wasting my life away

M

Mistral

The hardest thing is that I feel like I just don't want the help and just want it over with. I can't even find the motivation to try and do anything, another weekend is here and ill just be sat in my room on my laptop wasting my life away
There is nothing wrong with not wanting help. You are in a rut. It happens. Try cutting down on your laptop time and do other things. Go for a walk. Rearrange the books or DVD's you have into categories, buy a newspaper and read the classifieds in it. Do different things other than on your laptop. Kick star your weekends again. Progress will be slow, but it will happen.

HLon99

HLon99

Dear markems,

Unfortunately, with the NHS you have to really make the initiative if you want anything done. Of course this is very difficult given the state you are in right now, but perhaps you can get your parents to make the call for you. Its not too difficult to get a telephone appointment nowadays with covid. You prob won't even have to leave your home.

The first step is always the hardest.

best wishes,
-H