• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

length between episodes???

J

jodie20

hi, i was just wondering what the average length of time is between episodes?? i went to see my cpn last week and she believes that i am showing symptoms of psychosis again!! the last time it happened was about 4 years ago. i have had very mild symptoms in between. i am going to have to go back on olanzapine agin and im really scared about this. also is there an average length of psychotic episodes as i have been having symptoms since new year and they just appear to be getting worse not better.

chris

chris

Founding Member
Hi ,

Since i was diagnosed with schizophrenia 13 years ago i have had 3 episodes ,there really isn't a way of calculating how often a person will have psychotic episodes its usually down to whether the person is taking medication and how much stress the person is experiencing .

A

Apotheosis

I've had 7 episodes. I do think that they have been linked to stress & in the past also to street drug use. I have had episodes at 17, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29 & 31. Interestingly enough is that since being given a regular prescription for anti psychotics at 25 I have had 4 episodes since; admittedly some impact on 3 of those episodes has been med withdrawal.

I

IDream

I doubt very much there is an average and I guess it varies greatly from one person to another.

I had 12 years before my 1st and 2nd, but 2 years between my 2nd and 3rd.

Im surprised at how your CPN thinks you are about to have another episode?

Do/did you agree?

J

jodie20

m

she didn't say i was going to have another episode, i haven't been diagnosed with anything, apart from drug induced psychosis about 4 years ago. i never new that it could come back. im not sure whats happening, she just said im showing symptoms of psychosis and ive got to go on anti psychotics.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
she didn't say i was going to have another episode, i haven't been diagnosed with anything, apart from drug induced psychosis about 4 years ago. i never new that it could come back. im not sure whats happening, she just said im showing symptoms of psychosis and ive got to go on anti psychotics.
Sounds to me like she thinks you're having another episode.I mean if you're not having another episode then why does she want you to start medication?
Have you been on antipsychotics before?

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sorry,I see from your original post that you were on olanzapine.
Why are you so worried?