• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Legal case in Holland where a murder might be due to antidepressant use

Kerome

Kerome

Legal case in Holland where a murder might be due to antidepressant use

It's the case of a man who killed his wife and nearly killed his 10-year old son, after feeling suicidal. The psychiatrist had prescribed anti depressants after a first suicide attempt, but his symptoms got worse. The psychiatrist told him to push through it. He ended up in a night long funk in which he started contemplating suicide more, but also considered killing his family to save them the pain of his absence. Which he eventually in the early morning attempted. He then turned himself in.

The Dutch Justice department asked for a jail term not as long as the usual for murder, but still a jail term because any causal effect by medicine could not be proved. The defence holds he is not responsible for his actions because he was using mind altering medication. The man had a reputation as a good and responsible husband, with no known previous violent tendencies.

R

Rose19602

David Healy has been posting a lot in his blog about antidepressant induced violence.

It makes an interesting read. Whether or not there are any convictions which have cited the medicine as a cause or not I don't know....and whether this can then be used within Dutch law I don't know.

I suffered horrendous rages in withdrawl from ADs - don't know if I would have murdered anyone though - doubt it! - but they were certainly way out of the range of usual behaviour for me. I'm likely to argue and be sarcastic and have never before experienced out of control rage.

Has anyone else experienced it....or is it just me? :redface:

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Has anyone else experienced it....or is it just me? :redface:
i had a serious/severe suicide attempt shortly after being put on Prozac at the age of 21 - i think it was linked.

Very hard to separate a lot of things out in my past, as there was dual diagnosis - addiction, prescribed drugs & all the mental health stuff.

Peter Breggin has done a lot of work in the States on medication related violence -

Psychiatric Drug Facts with Dr. Peter Breggin - Medication Madness (2008)

Kerome

Kerome

It's getting quite a bit of press on serious talk shows like Jinek, which is almost a Dutch Newsnight kind of programme. Quite a bit of talk about medicine side effects like akathisia.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It's getting quite a bit of press on serious talk shows like Jinek, which is almost a Dutch Newsnight kind of programme.
These subjects should be being openly discussed in the open/mainstream media - especially in relation to the mass drugging of society.

R

Rose19602

I think that if we accept that people can become violent, deranged or aggressive on street drugs it is more than acceptable to consider that the same can happen on prescription drugs of a psychotropic nature.

In a murder case, what is difficult, is where to apportion blame (prescriber, drug company or patient) as monitoring, withdrawl advice, drug suitability and adequate research all come into play. I'm not saying that a patient committing murder is the drug company's fault or the doctor's fault....but their professional responsibility does come into the frame.

It's also important to think about whether this is manslaughter or whether diminished responsibility due to the influence of prescription drugs should be considered.

Interesting post Kerome!
x

E

earthbound_misfit

I wonder if decreased empathy/deadening of 'human' feelings comes into it?
The only AD's that affected me (at all) made me feel kind of... dead inside, whist still sort of aware things were horrifyingy, terrifyingly wrong inside somehow. This increased my self-harm and kind of 'mad' behaviours/thoughts, ie: I was still aware things were very wrong though the pills were dampening it down, so basically what they did was turn me into a silently screaming zombie, a muffled ball of "arghhh" trying to get out, but no longer able to articluate it or feel it clearly. I think suppressing things in this way is seriously dodgy and likey to lead to explosive, 'crazy' incidents.
It was citalopram in my case, fwiw.