• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Left in the sticks. ESA for mental health.

T

thrill

Been on esa support group for some years.

never had a atos meeting.

today I phoned the dwp up regarding a review, he said people are reviewed every twelve months but in my case he could not find/see any reviews in the future.

years ago when applying for esa I was in psych hospital a psychiatrist wrote a supporting letter outlining my continuous circumstance, history, severity of illness, risk factors as I'm a genuine danger to others and also explaining that an atos interview would be innapropiate.

Seeing people who are working makes me feel guilty, isolated and left in the sticks. but then it comes to me that I don't and will never have what they have,.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

my esa was not given a time limit either. it is a quite a powerful statement they left with me.

U

unique86

mine wasent given a time limit either but im always worried if i get a letter from dwp.
i got in the support group about 3 or 4 months back.
before that i was in the wrag group for years.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
mine wasn't given a time limit, i phoned up and they said 18 months haven't heard anything now 2 yrs and counting, i know violence helps a lot with the forms, guess they need a section were those murderers i knew can claim or have serious consequences, i claimed i was a danger in the workplace for esa for pip you get 8 points if your social skilll lack results in violence

Used to resent the thug who attacked me getting more and having a social worker a friend said thats because he's violent

porkpie

porkpie

Used to resent the thug who attacked me getting more and having a social worker a friend said thats because he's violent
I have a social worker, CPN and have never been violent so I think it depends on certain circumstances, I'm unsure if I'm a 'severe case' but when I see my doctor and CPN get really anxious when I miss my depot medication I assume that I am.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i asked my gp if i'm on his list of serious mentally ill people he's never answered last time i said i notice you haven't answered the question

One time he starts talking about taking his children to the chelsea match i said you've got kids he said you don't have to make it sound like that, i said they told me not to have children he said as long as you take your mediction you and me will get on just fine

E

english rose

Been on esa support group for some years.

never had a atos meeting.

today I phoned the dwp up regarding a review, he said people are reviewed every twelve months but in my case he could not find/see any reviews in the future.

years ago when applying for esa I was in psych hospital a psychiatrist wrote a supporting letter outlining my continuous circumstance, history, severity of illness, risk factors as I'm a genuine danger to others and also explaining that an atos interview would be innapropiate.

Seeing people who are working makes me feel guilty, isolated and left in the sticks. but then it comes to me that I don't and will never have what they have,.
You are lucky, I have to go through endless stressful appeals to get my ESA reinstated, months on end with no money & worrying myself sick; I see other people working & I just accept that they don't have the problems that I have & so are able to work where as I am not.

E

english rose

mine wasn't given a time limit, i phoned up and they said 18 months haven't heard anything now 2 yrs and counting, i know violence helps a lot with the forms, guess they need a section were those murderers i knew can claim or have serious consequences, i claimed i was a danger in the workplace for esa for pip you get 8 points if your social skilll lack results in violence

Wrong-doers are always rewarded - it's totally unfair, the worst case was the killers of James Bulger.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

I had been on Income Support since the early 1990's cos of my problems.

I was assessed and transferred to ESA a couple of years back, and put in the Support Group. I had no medical, and have never had one.

I wasn't given a review date either.

I think I've been effectively written off kind of thing, but then I really struggle. If I try and push the boundaries too much, it goes pear-shaped and gets scary. I don't think things will work out as I would have liked: job, relationship, friends and so forth.

I've just got to come to terms with it really. Maybe the nurse who said I'd never lead a normal life, was right :confused:

A

Amy Pond

My income Support and Severe Disablement Allowance,SDA, is now being reviewed for ESA. I got the ESA questioner this week.
I have got myself worked up about this as I have read many stories and posts on the Internet about people having their benefits cut or stopped.

But when I saw the welfare rights worker he said that based on my condition and care needs and what he has seen of me today as he said he found it nearly impossible to communicate with me and fact that I self harm. Which is why I am on the High Rate Of Care DLA he thinks it is unlikely that I would be found fit for work or be put in the work group.

So it seems the negative information we have been reading on the Internet from the many blog and form posts on other sites is misleading.

Although he offered to fill in the form I have decided to fill it in myself as the welfare rights man was only going to put in brief answers and did not want to send it of special deliver like I wanted. So I am at this moment filing in the form.

But there is not enough spaces in the boxes to explain why you have difficulties with each task so you do have to continues your answers on a separate sheet of paper and put your name and NI number on each sheet you ad and name and number of the question. At least that's what I am doing like I did with my DLA form when I filed that in.

One thing is that if you are claiming ESA because of mental illness as I am, you don't need to fill out the physical disability section or section 1 of the ESA form. Because you can only score points if you are unable to do the tasks in the psychical section because of psychical disability not mental disability.

But you must however fill in all of section 2 the Mental disability section and fill out all of the boxed and questions
in that section that apply to you and you need to ad pages(continue on a separate sheet of paper) if necessary.

Most of the information the welfare rights officer gave me was positive as I was worried that because I will have to go the the ESA medical on my own if they call me up that they might think I am well enough to go to work because I went to the DWP medical on my own.

But the Welfare Rights officer said the DWP doctor does not go by if or not you came there on your own, he goes by what you have put down on the form and how you are at the medical exam.

Also ESA is based on the difficulties you have and help you needs not the help you actually get. So it is important to say what help you need even if you don't actually get that help. For example difficulties doing tasks such as preparing food, any accidents you have had in the home and any difficulties you have getting out of the house and problems you have finding your way around familar or unfamiliar places and what happens when you go out alone(do you get panicky or have panic attacks for example) even if you don't get help from anyone else as it is about your needs and what you cannot do. What help you need from another person and why you needs it.

I also asked the welfare officer if I need to put in supporting letters or statements from my GP or ex Social worker from my CMHT( I was recently discharged from the CMHT but they said they wil still give me supporting letters) he said I don't have to as longs as I fill in the ESA form properly and the DWP can right to my GP or social worker or they might not have to if they have all of the information on the claim form.

But you should photo copy the ESA form and if you can do, give a copy to your GP or CMHT keyworker so they know what you wrote and know what to say to the DWP if the DWP write to or contact them. So the meeting with the welfare rights man was positive and it seems those new articles on the Internet that say the government is deliberately taking benefits away from people who are really ill and need them is misleading.

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My understanding is if you cannot do the physical tasks due to mental disability you also score points for that.I filled my forms in explain my mental health prevented me doing the physical tasks.i am also in the support group and didn't need to go for a medical assessment.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
thing is they used to tell me i was stabilised on meds and on meds i was as well as the next guy, i now know that isn't true the meds make me tired but if that meets benefit requirements

A

Amy Pond

My understanding is if you cannot do the physical tasks due to mental disability you also score points for that.I filled my forms in explain my mental health prevented me doing the physical tasks.i am also in the support group and didn't need to go for a medical assessment.
No I don't think so unless you also have a physical disability that prevents you from doing tasks in the physical section. The welfare rights adviser said I don't have to fill in the physical section as the DWP are referring to being physically not mentally being unable to do it.
See also this site here for descriptions which says it only applies to physical in section 1 so you should only fill in section 2 the mental health section:
ESA - filling out the Limited Capability to Work questionnaire | Sense

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fairy Lucretia Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9