• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Leaving Work due to Depression?

J

JSCM90

Hello all,

I have worked in my current position for just over 2 years. The last 6 months have been tough, very busy and short staffed.

The last 2 months have been the worst, i am one of 3 full time staff which has taken on a big workload, we used to have 5 or 6 full time staff.

For the first time I went to see a doctor about my mental health in December and they advised me to talk to my local Clinic. I had a telephone assessment and have been put forward for CBT therapy which starts in April.

I have not had a raise in over a year despite the lack of staff and extra work. I asked for a meeting last week with my manager and was open for the first time about my depression & anxiety.

They assumed that I asked for the meeting for a raise so they offered me 5% increase. I was thankful but said it was to ask for a reduction in hours due to my mental health problems and that the money was not my priority right now.

As we are already really short staffed they declined and said I have to stick to full time. I have been struggling the last few weeks and as they are not willing to reduce my hours I feel as though I have no option but to hand in my notice as I cannot keep working in the current conditions, I realised a few weeks ago that the pressure I am under at work is a big factor in the way I am feeling.

I have savings so can live without work for a month or so but have not handed in my notice before. I feel it is something I need to do, I do not feel appreciated at all at work and being so overworked has taken its toll on me. It is also a position which does not offer much in terms of progression, I have just become to comfortable and put up with everything for too long now.

If anyone has any advice on this situation I find myself in I am listening

Thanks

R

Ramson bangers

Hi there jsc
I think your employer should be supporting you. They should pay your full time pay while you are struggling with depression. I wouldnt make any decisions that will affect you longterm, i would go off sick with depression and then return on reduced hours. They have to abide to that by law in the uk. Sorry if your circumstances are different

ReverieAnxiety

ReverieAnxiety

Hello JSCM90!

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation! Where are you from? USA? If you're from USA there is an act called the ADA where your employers has to reasonably accommodate you. But, your work place does not appreciate you, nor do they seem worried about your concern. You deserve better than this and you know it! Do what you have to do to take care of yourself because in the end, no one cares more about your well-being than yourself! I have left a couple of jobs due to too much work and a toxic environment and it's always been worth it. There is a difference between being depressed at work and being depressed at home. Having less stress in life will allow you to focus on what really matters; you. Please do take care of yourself as you deserve to live a better and happy life! Screw that job! They can shove that 5% up their (get imaginative). I'm so happy that you have some savings to help yourself in the meantime. Please do let me know how things go!

-Reverie

J

JSCM90

Hi to you both thanks for the quick replies, I am from London and first time have brought this up at work so not sure of the law will have to look more into it. If it means having to go to my doctors to get a letter than so be it.

It is the first time I have spoke about my depression with anyone else other than my girlfriend, just struggle talking about it but I know it is better to let it out.

I was a bit shocked that once I admitted my problem to them that they still could not reduce my hours. I even said if could just have one day off a week and they still said no. Ideally i would not have to give up work but I cannot continue working full time in the current conditions.

I dread going to work at the minute and most days leave exhausted and I know it is not doing me any good by staying and putting up with it.

ReverieAnxiety

ReverieAnxiety

Hi to you both thanks for the quick replies, I am from London and first time have brought this up at work so not sure of the law will have to look more into it. If it means having to go to my doctors to get a letter than so be it.

It is the first time I have spoke about my depression with anyone else other than my girlfriend, just struggle talking about it but I know it is better to let it out.

I was a bit shocked that once I admitted my problem to them that they still could not reduce my hours. I even said if could just have one day off a week and they still said no. Ideally i would not have to give up work but I cannot continue working full time in the current conditions.

I dread going to work at the minute and most days leave exhausted and I know it is not doing me any good by staying and putting up with it.
Hello again!

It sounds like a good idea to look into the law. It's quite saddening that your work place reacted like that. Maybe it was due to lack of workers, but it's off putting that they didn't consider your well-being! So would you still consider working there if the law protect you? Or would you find a less stressful job? It's hard to talk about mental illness, so I'm happy that you're talking to your girlfriend about it and reaching out to the forum. Please continue to take care of yourself. Let me know how things are going sometimes! :)

-Reverie

J

JSCM90

I know that they have said I cannot reduce my hours due to the lack of workers but the way they have been just now makes me not want to work there anymore.

I mentioned my mental health and they were shocked and hope I get better but have offered nothing else. Since I mentioned I wanted to reduce my hours the manager has been off with me too.

I just feel so unappreciated there, we have been short staffed for months and have given my all buts its taken its toll on me now.

I will ask my manager one more time tomorrow if I can reduce my hours in the near future, if it is still a no then i will hand my notice in

T

Trajal

Hi there, don't hand your notice in. We have strong workers rights in this country and if you've been there for over two years then it is very difficult for the employer to disagree. I believe that you may well better off getting a fit note from your GP to sign you off as sick for a period of time.

If you're sick, you're sick and mental health is just the same as a broken arm, they have to make reasonable adjustments and if they don't then they are are very strongly on the wrong side of the law.

Have you considered applying for PIP? That may be worth doing as it then becomes a disability issue and no employer in their right mind would want to get into trouble over that. Just a thought, but don't resign as you won't be able to get universal credit for quite a while. Go sick, get a note from your doctor after the first week if it really becomes that bad.

Best of luck. 👌🏻

J

JSCM90

Hi there,

I am going to go to my doctor sometime this week and explain to them how I asked to reduce my hours and it was declined and explain how my mental health is not great at the minute.

I gave my employer the chance to reduce my hours as I had a legit reason and they said no as we are short staffed but by them refusing I am going to have to now have a week off and leave them more understaffed.

I have had mental health problems for many years and kept it all in but I see now that by keeping it all in it is not helping me at all.

T

Trajal

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I did the same and it just led to things escalating out of control. Get the help you deserve.

R

Ramson bangers

Hi mate,
Have been thinking about this and you got to remember work is thier problem now (dont say that to them) but they are takings liberties. Now you are in recovery, thats what you need to focus on. They will pay you full smackeroons while you are off sick and if you want to return on reduced hours they will still pay you full time while you decide your next career move.
Best of luck, i know there are exiting prospects out there and ways to earn money without stress if you do your job and stand your ground. Retail is quite convinient for this. Managers are usually sound and there is mutual respect. Anyways im waffling on, hope you get it sorted.

J

JSCM90

Hi Ramson,

I dont think I will get much if I take time off. To be honest I dont really care about the money right now, its my health which is getting worse each day I put up with it so I need to focus on getting better.

Just not sure if it is best to hand my notice in and work the month notice period and be done with them or go to my doctor and take a week off and then see how I feel after and If I can go down to part time.

I dont enjoy the work anymore, we have been short staffed for months and the way they have been since I mentioned my mental health problems makes me want to leave more, they have not shown any care towards me since. They just expect me to work and put up with it but I cant for much longer.

R

Ramson bangers

Hi Ramson,

I dont think I will get much if I take time off. To be honest I dont really care about the money right now, its my health which is getting worse each day I put up with it so I need to focus on getting better.

Just not sure if it is best to hand my notice in and work the month notice period and be done with them or go to my doctor and take a week off and then see how I feel after and If I can go down to part time.

I dont enjoy the work anymore, we have been short staffed for months and the way they have been since I mentioned my mental health problems makes me want to leave more, they have not shown any care towards me since. They just expect me to work and put up with it but I cant for much longer.
You definately should leave. You can even get help looking for a new job while you are in recovery. What i did was i went to a&e and said i needed to speak to someone about mental health. That started off a careplan, dont suffer alone you can get help.

R

Ramson bangers

I mean to say this in the long term. Dont hand your notice in at all but wait for advice from the people who's job it is to help you. They will give you the best options. Try not to think about your job for the time being.

J

JSCM90

I am going to take this Thursday off as that is the day we have most staff and go doctors to discuss what my options are and then decide what to do.