Leaving on a jet plane.... If I can!

AnxiousAmy88

AnxiousAmy88

I have to get on a plane in 8 days for the first time since I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder 4 years ago, I have propranolol 40mg that I use when I'm feeling particularly anxious but I'm worried I'll have a massive panic attack on the plane, it's a 4 hour flight from England to Lanzarote and I was wondering if it's worth going to see my Doctor to ask for something stronger for the flight? Or does anyone have any advice? I just can't bear the thought of being somewhere I can't get out of and once that plane is up in the air I'm stuck there, my best friend moved to Lanzarote a year ago and this is the first time I've even remotely had the courage to go but I'm terrified I can't hack it...

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Ask your doctor for 5mg diazepam. It can make you drowsy and sleepy but nothing exaggerated. It can make you feel relaxed with a smile on your face with it without a reason 😁 but it’s very addictive if taken daily for more than a week. Use it when needed only.

Have a safe trip.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I was just about to suggest the same as hopeful. They will only give you two tablets tho. One for out the other home. But they do work . Beta blockers are good at slowing the heart down but diazepam will make you drowsy. Not much fun for your friend tho if your snoring 💤

P

Pollypop

Does your friend know how bad your anxiety and panic attacks
can be?
If so they could be a great help in keeping you occupied.

I’ve just reread your post and I think it may be a good idea to see your
doctor if you can an appointment.

Have you ever had any benzodiazepines such as diapers or Xanax etc?
Your doctor may just give you a limited amount just to get you through
the journey there and home.

( Have you flown before )

Love Pollypop

L

Lunar Lady

Nodding in agreement here.

When I was suffering with panic attacks, I had to fly regularly as part of my job.

My GP gave me flight specific diazepam when required and it worked well - to be honest, I slept through the flights.

You can always let cabin crew know you're anxious - they're incredibly attentive and reassuring if you make them aware of how you're feeling when you board the plane.

Sure you'll be more than fine.

Jumping on a plane for a sunny destination with a pal? Sounds like something to be very excited about and these worries will lessen once you know you've got a tablet in your pocket as back-up.

:hug: xx

P

Pollypop

Hi Amy, I don’t know where “diapers” came from!!

It should have been diazepam.

AnxiousAmy88

AnxiousAmy88

I was nervous to try diazepam as I didn't want to end up like a zombie for the rest of the day but I'm going to try your advice and just see if I can think about where I'm going and remain calm and have the diazepam as a back up just in case it all gets too much. I'm going to pop into my travel agent and have a word with them about the cabin crew. Thank you all for your wonderful advice, I'm so glad I joined this forum and have people to talk too. And luckily my friend is a previous anxiety sufferer himself so he understands how I'm feeling. Just going to try and get excited about finally visiting my best friend. :) xxx

P

Pollypop

Hi Amy and Lunar,
Although unintentional I’m glad I caused a smile 😊 to start the day.!
Pollypop x