• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Leaving abusive ex

E

Elizabeth1970

I left him about a month ago. I've been having a lot of flashbacks and nightmares.
I see a therapist and a psychiatrist. I'm being treated for CPTSD, major depression and panic disorder. I'm on meds for depression and anxiety.
He was physically, mentally, sexually abusive.
I'm terrified of him. He said (lots of times) if I left, he would find me. He made all kinds of terrible threats. I'm scared to leave my home.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

Hang in there, you've done the hardest part, gathering the strength to leave...I left an abusive situation finally two years ago and I still fear running into the person. I have no idea what I would do, how I would handle it...but all we can do is work towards the version of ourselves and our life that we finally have the opportunity to take control of... :hug1:

R

Rogue7

The hardest step is leaving so well done! My ex was sexually, physically and mentally abusive too. The only time I frlt truly free from him was when he flew to England for a holiday and I saw my chance to escape. I think you are very strong for leaving him. Hang in there xx

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
I'm really sorry you went through such an experience, Elizabeth. I can only imagine all you've endured up to until this point.
I don't know where you stand from a legal point of view (like restraining orders and the like), I only hope you've sought appropriate advice.
I can certainly understand your fear and anxiety about the situation, as a survivor of DV, I struggled with it myself for quite a while. I had to move hours away from where I used to live and cut ties with all former mutual friends. It was lonely as I struggle to make friends, but eventually I did that and with time, my fear subsided.
I had the support of some wonderfully supportive DV organisations in my local community. I only hope you have similar support around you.